Can't open .doc files with word 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I can't open .doc files that are sent to me as an attachment with word 2010??

I have tried open with: but still it isn't working.

Can anyone help????

Cheers

Dan

Friday, September 16, 2011 3:06 PM

Answers

• Hi Dan,

Have you get any error message?

Are you sure these files are able to open on the other machines?

Try to open a new Word document, and drag the .doc file into it.

Try run your Word 2010 in safe mode, and drag the .doc file into it. (type winword.exe /safe in the Run box)

Try to rename the .doc file to .docx and open again.

See also:

How to open documents by using the Open and Repair feature in Word

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893672

How to troubleshoot damaged documents in Word 2007 and in Word 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918429

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:54 AM

All replies

• Hi Dan,

Have you get any error message?

Are you sure these files are able to open on the other machines?

Try to open a new Word document, and drag the .doc file into it.

Try run your Word 2010 in safe mode, and drag the .doc file into it. (type winword.exe /safe in the Run box)

Try to rename the .doc file to .docx and open again.

See also:

How to open documents by using the Open and Repair feature in Word

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/893672

How to troubleshoot damaged documents in Word 2007 and in Word 2010

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918429

Sincerely,

Max Meng
    Forum Support

Come back and mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    • Marked as answer by Max Meng Tuesday, September 27, 2011 5:09 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2011 2:54 AM
  • I've been having this same problem.   Word 2010 on W7, word .doc attachments via Outlook won't open.  I tried open and repair, and it can't open it either.   Renaming it to docx causes Word to complain that the format doesn't match the extension.   Tried "safe" mode, dropping the document, but-- same problem.    Install of Word appears to be a standard default install of Office 2010 (done by our IT dept, not by me).   Most of the troubleshooting tips assume you can open a damaged document, which I can't-- and those tips that don't require that I've tried.    I also tried the options/trust settings/file block settings and unchecked all w/ open selected file types in protected view.   None of this had any effect at all, the document will not open in Word 2010.   Not sure what the source version of Word was, 2003 is probably the most likely candidate.

My workaround has been to upload the attachment to Zamzar's online doc to docx converter, which has no problem with it and the result comes out perfect as far as I can tell (no obvious damage, anyhow).   Why I have to resort to this method is a mystery and a PITA.

kdd21

Wednesday, April 4, 2012 11:27 PM
  • Conceivably it's the upload rather than the conversion that's doing it!  I have the exact situation as kdd21: replacement computer came with Office 2010 installed; won't even open (much less repair or convert) .doc files created by everyone else's Office 2003 - nor, for that matter, .xls files; and I've walked through all the suggested fixes kdd21 tried, probably as a result of walking thru all the same forums...

Know what works for me, if you can call it working?  MAILING THE FILE TO MYSELF - I kid you not.  When received by my new Outlook 2010, the attachments all open without comment.

It won't suffice to attach the problem file to an Outlook 2010 new mail, and then save the new message as a draft; I think this worked using web clients I had for my other accounts, but if the originator is Outlook 2010, it has actually to be SENT.  Files people have emailed me have opened, same files dropped into our Dropbox won't.

Pretty clunky workaround - wish I knew what was going on.

Thursday, May 3, 2012 2:29 PM
  • Since I've been having this same problem for months now, and finally found a solution, I thought I would share the wealth. I am running Word 2010 in a Windows 8 environment.

Option A: Right click on the file you are trying to open and select "properties". Next, on the bottom of the "General" tab, click on "unblock". Apply it and close that menu, then re-open the file; it should be working. This has been the most successful method I have found.

The next step would be to find the command line switch that forces Word to open files, even ones that are blocked. I believe the security is a little too strict on files coming from another source right now under most circumstances (for myself, an educational setting).

Another option: (limited success) Rename the file extension from .doc to other types, say .txt, and then back again. 

P.S. The Open and Repair option sucks and has never fixed the issue a single time. I did spend hours trying to find a real answer to the question online, though.

• Proposed as answer by B Page Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:54 PM
    • Edited by B Page Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:55 PM
    Sunday, March 31, 2013 1:53 PM
  • I had the similar problem but just by trying as below, was able to open the file in MS Word 2010:

1. Right Click on File  

2. Click on  "Open With"

3. Click on  "MS Application Virtualization DDE Launcher

The File will open straightaway.

• Proposed as answer by Amaay Friday, November 1, 2013 9:12 PM
    • Edited by Amaay Friday, November 1, 2013 9:13 PM
    Friday, November 1, 2013 8:58 PM
  • Thank you so much! Unlike the other suggested solutions, this one actually worked and was so simple :)
    Thursday, May 8, 2014 5:36 AM