Installing SQL Reporting Services to exisiting SQL 2008 R2 Instance? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

I have only one SCCM 2012 Server that use SQL 2008 R2, both are installed on same server, the SQL server is not clustered and has only one instance (default) without the SRSS.

I want to use the reporting feature in my SCCM 2012 product but I could not.

when I tried to add the Reporting Services feature to my existing SQL server instance by adding a feature from SQL setup wizard, it gives me this error "the instance name is already in use" so I can't continue install this feature!!

So can you guide me how to enable the SCMM 2012 reporting?

thanks for the help

Regards,

• Edited by DundarT Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:22 AM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:19 AM

Answers

• Choose "Add features to an existing instance..." in the Installation Type and try again.

Cheers,
    Peer

• Edited by Peer K Friday, December 20, 2013 2:27 AM added screenshot
    • Proposed as answer by icemenP Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ronni PedersenMVP Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:53 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 2:58 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It sounds like SRS is already installed in that instance? Are you using the default instance?

regards,
    Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:26 AM
  • SRS is not installed on my Server! but how can I know if it is installed?

Yes, I am using the default instance

Regards,

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Hi,

If reporting services is installed in the SQL site you should be able to start the SQL Management Studio, and instead of connecting to the Database Enginge you should be able to connect to the Reporting Services.

Regards,
    Jörgen

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:01 PM
  • Hi Jorgen,

I tried to connect to reporting services as you said and I got this error:

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 12:05 PM
  • Hi,

Here is a thread on the same topic http://www.sqlteam.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=166452, there is no other solution than to make sure that you select only to add the feature and only select to add reporting Services, in that discussion there are more ways to check if Reporitng services is already installed, check at the running services, could be installed but not running perhaps?

Can you start the Reporting services configuration tool from the start meny under SQL Server?

Regards,
    Jörgen

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 6:05 PM
  • Hi Jörgen,

I tried to open the Reporting Services Configuration Tool but it did not find any instance of reporting on my server.

My SQL server has SP1+CU6, is this prevent from installing the Reporting feature?

Also before installing the RS should I do and special configs like stop or disable something?

Regards,

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:00 PM
  • Hi,

Running Sp1+CU6 should be fine, and as you are not touching the Database enginge you shouldn't have to stop anyhting. Don't forget to reinstall SP1 and Cu6 after the installation of Reporting Services is complete.

Regards,
    Jörgen

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:06 PM
  • Thanks Jörgen for the hint, I will try to reboot my server and use different SQL media, maybe it will work.

Regards,

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 9:11 PM
  • Choose "Add features to an existing instance..." in the Installation Type and try again.

Cheers,
    Peer

• Edited by Peer K Friday, December 20, 2013 2:27 AM added screenshot
    • Proposed as answer by icemenP Thursday, March 13, 2014 8:48 AM
    • Marked as answer by Ronni PedersenMVP Tuesday, February 17, 2015 10:53 PM
    Monday, May 13, 2013 2:58 PM