migrate office 365 and third party trust over to new 2019 ADFS farm RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to know has anyone here migrated Office 365 relaying party trust as well as third-party relaying trust to new ADFS servers? To be more exact we currently have two production ADFS servers one that handles Office 365 is running Windows Server 2008 R2 ADFS 2.0 the other server that handles third-party trust is running Windows Server 2012 R2 ADFS 3.0. I have since built a new ADFS farm on Windows Server 2019. So, in short, I want to move everything over to the new servers. 

• Edited by OSU75 Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:22 PM
    Thursday, March 28, 2019 2:21 PM

All replies

• Well, technically, that's not the proper upgrade process.

The upgrade process is described here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/identity/ad-fs/deployment/prepare-migrate-ad-fs-server-r2 (same process to migrate from 2008 R2 to 2016/2019).

If you don't want to upgrade, you will have to re-create the trust on your new ADFS farm. You can do it with Azure AD Connect (there is wizard for ADFS setup) or simply by re-running the following command with the new information:

1. $cred = get-credential 
      Note When you're prompted, enter your cloud service administrator credentials.
    2. Connect-MSOLService –credential:$cred 
    3. Set-MSOLADFSContext –Computer: <AD FS 2.0 ServerName> 
      Note In this command, the placeholder <AD FS 2.0 Server Name> represents the Windows host name of the primary AD FS server.
    4. Update-MSOLFederatedDomain –DomainName: <Federated Domain Name> 
      or
      Update-MSOLFederatedDomain –DomainName: <Federated Domain Name>  –supportmultipledomain 

(this is described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2647048/how-to-update-or-repair-the-settings-of-a-federated-domain-in-office-3)

Note: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

Sunday, March 31, 2019 10:39 PM