Outlook 2016 does not show Shared Mailbox archive mailbox- exchange 2016 Hybrid RRS feed

• Question

• I'm placing this in the Outlook forum as OWA works as expected so it appears to be an Outlook 2016 client issue. We have both user and shared mailboxes with the primary mailbox on premise and the archive mailbox on 365.  User mailboxes work as expected but shared mailboxes do not display the archived mail folder. This folder is available via OWA and works as expected. The shared mailboxes are automapped- not forced.  If I add them manually vai advanced under account settings same result. If I add them as a seperate email account- I get prompted for what looks like the archive mailbox credentials but of course there is no password- so it fails

Outlook is patched up to date

Thursday, September 28, 2017 3:22 AM

Answers

• https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj906433(v=exchg.150).aspx

"In addition to these permissions, the Auto Mapping feature is also unsupported when used between mailboxes in the on-premises Exchange and Office 365 organizations."

This  was published early last year. According to this article stay away from hybrid environments as MS do not support crucial features

• Edited by tonyholdgate Monday, October 9, 2017 11:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by tonyholdgate Monday, October 9, 2017 11:17 PM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 11:12 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Since you have full access mailbox permission to the shared mailbox, we can use your primary account credential to add this shared mailbox as separate email account in Outlook to display the Archive mailbox for shared mailbox. To do it, please follow:

1.Restart Outlook.

2.Click File > Account Settings in the Account Settings list.

3.In the Account Settings dialog box, in the E-mail tab, click New.

4.In Auto Account Setup dialog, fill in with the shared mailbox Name and E-mail address, keep the Password blank, click Next.

5.If there is a window prompted for credentials to connect this shared mailbox, use your credentials (your User Name and your Password) for authentication.

6.Click Finish to complete the shared mailbox configuration.

7.Restart Outlook and switch to Folder view, check if the Archive mailbox is displayed for shared mailbox.

Anything unclear about it, feel free to let me know. Hope it helps.

Best Regards,
    Winnie Liang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, September 29, 2017 9:08 AM
  • whilst this does make the archive folder display it fails to open. I have opened a case with microsoft as a manual addition like this is not manageable with thousands of users. Automapp should always display both the main and archive folder
    Monday, October 2, 2017 4:40 AM
  • whilst this does make the archive folder display it fails to open. I have opened a case with microsoft as a manual addition like this is not manageable with thousands of users. Automapp should always display both the main and archive folder

Yes, the AutoMapping should display both primary mailbox and Archive mailbox. How about the issue in your side currently? Has the issue been resolved?

In your Hybrid environment, please move your shared mailbox and Archive mailbox and Primary user mailbox to the same database. In Outlook side, create a new Outlook profile and setup the primary mailbox, disable using Exchange Cached mode to restart it with Online connection. Then confirm if all mailboxes are displayed in Outlook client or not.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 6, 2017 1:59 AM
  • Not resolved at this stage. Now a premier support call. It's looking like a recent change in 365 has broken this feature. There was supposed to be a relaxation of licencing rules for shared mailboxes Octover 1 and whilst that has now been delayed I suspect the work already done has broken this feature

Update: Premier support have replicated the issue on their lab. Looks like something was broken recently on 365

Friday, October 6, 2017 2:17 AM
  • Premium support have duplicated the issue in their Lab. This has now gone to the product team to decide if its a Bug- LOL. Whats the point of EOL licences if archiving does not work for shared mailboxes.  When I tested this 6 months ago it worked. Somethings been broken lately. 

There is a workaround. Create a new OST for the shared mailbox, set a password for it and enable it. Thats just not feasible or secure.

MS has messed this up. They promote permanent Hybrid but this is a big gaping hole

Monday, October 9, 2017 9:45 PM

"In addition to these permissions, the Auto Mapping feature is also unsupported when used between mailboxes in the on-premises Exchange and Office 365 organizations."

This  was published early last year. According to this article stay away from hybrid environments as MS do not support crucial features

• Edited by tonyholdgate Monday, October 9, 2017 11:17 PM
    • Marked as answer by tonyholdgate Monday, October 9, 2017 11:17 PM
    Monday, October 9, 2017 11:12 PM

Thanks for your information.

You can consider to move the shared mailbox and primary mailbox to the same database in hybrid environment to have a try.

Tuesday, October 10, 2017 1:37 AM
  • Are there any updates for this issue? I currently have the same problems here (Ex2013/CU19 hybrid deployment) – everything works as expected except the automapping for the shared mailbox online archive. Is it worth it to open a case?

Marc

Saturday, March 17, 2018 11:19 AM