none
Project wont delete RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

One of the workers here was having trouble with publishing a Project in MS Projects online. I checked the Manage Queue and saw a few jobs that were only 40% done and then cancelled. So after a look around on forums we tried to save the Project to his desktop and reopen it and write over the one that was saved online. That didn't work so it was saved as something slightly different and uploaded. However this threw out the resources as they were not doubled booked for the job.
    We then deleted the new one we created and that was successfully deleted. We then tried to delete the original, I deleted it from "Delete Enterprise Objects" (which was successful) but when I went to look in the Projects list it was still there. Now if I try to delete it from that list (using the 3 dots) it allows me go through the procedure but nothing actually happens.
    It seems as if a file is corrupted or maybe the Project is tied to a resource and just wont delete.
    Any ideas?

Thanks
    Stephen
    Tuesday, May 31, 2016 10:09 AM

All replies

• Hi Stephen,

The first mistake was actually to save the project locally. This is not a best practice since saving it back on Project Online, it will have a different UID making it unrelated anymore to the existing timesheets, project site etc... Instead of this, the save for sharing method is more adviced.

Secondly, for deleting a project as an administrator, you have to go to the server settings, delete enterprise objects, select the given project, ensure that it is checked in, and delete it. You have also to select from which talbes you'll delete it. By default, it will delete it from the draft and published tables, as well as it will delete the project site if existing. If you just delete if from the draft table, you'll still see it in the project center which return the published projects.

Finally, I'd mention that you might still see it in MS Project Pro. When you click on "open", Project first opens the local cache. Even if the project has been deleted from Project Online, it will still exist in the user's local cache. You have to open the cache and delete the project from the cache.

Last word, you should also investigate why the publish job was stuck in the queue so it won't happen again: was the project corrupted? For what reason?

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MVP, MCC |

Tuesday, May 31, 2016 11:20 AM