Registry No Start Up Windows 7 RRS feed

• Question

• Today i exported the software part of my windows xp registry and imported it onto windows 7.

Then about 5 minutes later i receive a message saying your windows may be non genuine and so i followed the instructions and it said that it wasnt genuine. So it installed an update and shutdown. I restarted my computer and it gets to the windows logo but then dissappears and the screen goes blank and there is just my mouse icon.

I left it like that for 1 hour and still nothing happened. I have also run in safe mode but the same thing happens. if only i could somehow get to system restore.

Anyone got any ideas?

Monday, September 27, 2010 2:49 AM

Answers

• OMG YAY ily I did the F8 thing and i chose the top option and then did a system restore and it worked and i didnt loose any files in the process.

Now i gotta call like 3 companys and tell them its fixed lol Tysm :D

Monday, September 27, 2010 4:26 AM

All replies

• Hi

Turn the system on and start tapping the F8 Key until you see a black screen menu.

Use the Arrow Keys to select the Last Known Good option and press Enter.

This should boot the system with the registry and settings that were used the last time it successfully booted into Windows.

What were you trying to accomplish when you replaced part of the registry with the XP registry?

Let us know if this works.

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, September 27, 2010 3:57 AM
  • I got to the menu and tried what you said but after the windows logo i had the same outcome.

And the reason why I copied the registry was because I was trying to get it to think all the games like sims fallout 3 ect were installed so i didnt need to reinstall. Also so i could find a serial to a game i had lost.

Btw i dont know if this is any help but hp quick start which it logs into before windows is working fine.

Monday, September 27, 2010 4:07 AM
  • OMG YAY ily I did the F8 thing and i chose the top option and then did a system restore and it worked and i didnt loose any files in the process.

Now i gotta call like 3 companys and tell them its fixed lol Tysm :D

Monday, September 27, 2010 4:26 AM
  • Hi

Glad you were able to recover from this.

Regards,

Thank You for using Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Monday, September 27, 2010 4:32 AM