none
Reporting on Multiple MPP's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

i currently have 35 msp schedules and i need to report on them weekly. Some examples of the data i need to extract:-

• Count of all tasks
    • Count of incomplete tasks before staus date
    • Project status date
    • Does the schedule have a a task called 'Milestones'
    • Does the schedule have a a task called 'Dependencies In'
    • Does the schedule have a a field in text 20 called 'Region'
    • Is this field populated

Is this possible, or will it be a manual process.....

Thursday, February 28, 2013 11:36 AM

All replies

• rapscalli --

There is no built-in report in Microsoft Project that shows the information you are seeking.  The best way to handle this would be to write a macro in the VBA programming language to perform all of the tests and calculations you seek, and then to push the data to an Excel spreadsheet.  You would not be able to record this macro; you would need to actually write the code.  If you need help with developing the code, please post your questions in the Project Customization and Programming user forum at the following URL:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/project2010custprog/threads

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:36 PM
  • Hi,

I guess I'm not understanding your question.  You can certainly create custom filters or use the Find command for things like "Milestones" - but are you asking whether there is a way to do this in one step with all 35 project files at once?

I think short of some code, you would need to open each of the 35 files to search for the data.  If you have some skills with code, you might try posting your question to the forum for Programming to get some guidance on code structure.

Julie

Thursday, February 28, 2013 12:42 PM
  • Hello rapscalli,

As Dale already pointed out, the way to do this is to build a Macro in VBA or an Add-In in .NET. The best source you can have if you want to do this yourself is the book on Project VBA Programming by Rod Gill.

We have built this kind of solutions before if you are looking for someone to develop it for you.

Best regards,

Rene Alvarez

Friday, March 1, 2013 1:49 AM
  • rapscalli,

Create a master file with all 35 projects inserted as subprojects. Run the following simple macro to answer the first item (total task count) and the third item (status date). The total task count will appear in a pop-up window. The subproject status dates will be listed in the Intermediate Window of the VB Editor

Sub projectmetrics()
    Dim sp As Subproject
    SelectAll
    MsgBox ("total tasks = " & ActiveSelection.Tasks.Count - 35)
    For Each sp In ActiveProject.Subprojects
        Debug.Print sp.SourceProject.StatusDate
    Next sp
    End Sub

The 2nd, 4th, 5th, and 6th items can be determined with a simple filter looking for the desired text string in the Name field

I don't know what you are looking for in the 7th item (i.e. "is this field populated")

Hope this helps.

John

Friday, March 1, 2013 2:53 AM
  • Hi all, many thanks for the suggestions. I shall be trying them later this week hopefully and may (will) be back with some more questions.

Monday, March 4, 2013 10:23 AM