none
Virtual XP cannot find printer (attached via USB) that host, Window 7 64-bit, uses as system printer RRS feed

• Question

• I just downloaded and installed Windows Virtual PC XP Mode to be able to run old software (Micrografx Designer) that worked on 32-bit XP.

The installation went fine, also installing Designer in the virtual machine. However, the printer is not found.

When restarting XP with the printer attached to a different port it was still not found. 

What to do?

Thank you.

(It's a standalone PC, the printer does not connect via network)

"Hard work pays off in the future, laziness pays off now".

• Edited by MauiWowie Monday, December 26, 2016 2:35 PM Clarification
    Monday, December 26, 2016 2:29 PM

Answers

• If your printer is the Canon MP270 as shown in your post above, you must download and install the Canon print drivers for Windows XP.  Those drivers must be installed in the Windows XP Mode virtual machine for programs the to see the printer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by MauiWowie Monday, December 26, 2016 4:55 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2016 3:25 PM

All replies

• If your printer is the Canon MP270 as shown in your post above, you must download and install the Canon print drivers for Windows XP.  Those drivers must be installed in the Windows XP Mode virtual machine for programs the to see the printer.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

• Marked as answer by MauiWowie Monday, December 26, 2016 4:55 PM
    Monday, December 26, 2016 3:25 PM
  • Thank you Rick. That sounds very reasonable. I just hope Canon supplies drivers for XP this long after the best-before-date of XP has passed and Microsoft stopped all support years ago. But of course you are right.

Again thanks.

Monday, December 26, 2016 4:55 PM
  • Afterthought: member Rick Dee said: "If your printer is the Canon MP270 as shown in your post above, you must download and install the Canon print drivers for Windows XP.  Those drivers must be installed in the Windows XP Mode virtual machine for programs the to see the printer."

Allright, that makes sense to me, but how do I go about this in practice? In the XP Add Printer Wizard I have these options:

then XP searches...

but of course doesn't find any printers

next, I get the choices

and

but none of the choices seem to apply as it is not the on host PC I wish to install the drivers, but in the virtual XP machine. This is a conundrum to me. How do I install the XP drivers in practice?

Thank you. 

Tuesday, December 27, 2016 8:18 AM