none
Can I use project site to store other project specific data RRS feed

• Question

• Dear All

we are planning to develop project management application using SharePoint 2013 and Project Server 2013. We are planning to use MS project server 2013 to for project management (Tracking task ext..). We are also having project specific data which we want to store in lists and libraries for this we are looking to use SharePoint team site. for each project we are going to create project site and team site.

My queries are :

• Can I use project site to store project specific data in lists and libraries without any limitation. If this work, I can avoid creating team site. Basically can I  have SharePoint team site functionalities in project site ?
    • We are going to have multiple site collections for each geographical region, can I associate PWA site with each site collection. PWA site will have multiple project site for each project.

Thanks & Regards

Safder

Monday, March 13, 2017 5:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hello,

The Project Site can / will have the same capability as the SP Team site... The only thing you need to be careful of is to not delete any of the default lists or columns on those lists (Issues / Risks / Deliverables / Documents) then you will be fine. You can add columns etc.

You can have multiple PWA site collections on the farm too.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Monday, March 13, 2017 5:56 PM
  • Dear All

... using SharePoint 2013 and Project Server 2013. We are planning to use MS project server 2013 to for project management (Tracking task ext..).

• We are going to have multiple site collections for each geographical region, can I associate PWA site with each site collection. PWA site will have multiple project site for each project.

Hey there,

Just as an elaboration on Paul's points I don't think you can have multiple Project Sites per project - but as Paul mentioned you can have project sites in different site collections within the same farm if you need separate storage/differing regional settings etc. 

Planning a new Project Server 2013 installation now might not be the best idea - remember that Project Server 2016 is available and that mainstream support for Project Server 2013 ends in October next year.

Cheers,

J.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:10 AM
  • Dear Paul

Thanks for your reply. have few more queries as mentioned below:

• Does it mean SharePoint features (like publishing..ext) activated will also available to project site as well.
    • If my web application has 5 site collections, I can have 5 PWA site for each site collection.

Regards

Safder

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 1:36 PM
  • The SharePoint publishing feature is not active on a default Project Site, enabling the Publishing feature on a Project Site will mean you can't save it as a template etc. fully test it on a non-production instance first. A PWA site is a site collection, the Project Sites are sub sites in the PWA site collection.

Paul

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 3:04 PM
  • It seems PWA site is not a site collection as I cannot see site collection features.Please check below screenshot.

Regards

Safder

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 5:45 PM
  • Is your account a site collection administrator? Not just a PWA administrator as they are different access / permission levels.

Paul

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 6:01 PM
  • Thanks Paul, It is resolved.. it was because I was not site collection administrator.

Regards

Safder

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:33 PM