implementation private cloud in university RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

i want to implementation private cloud in mu university. but i don't know which software is better for this work???

Saturday, December 28, 2013 8:57 PM

Answers

• Hello Maryam,

I work for Harvard Business School and we have implemented a private cloud using Hyper-V and System Center products.

We have found that software defined networking works well for research where we cannot spend a lot of time with network infrastructure changes to suit the needs of the researchers.

Also we have found that using System Center is a step up from just using VCenter to control VMware machine provisioning.

The System Center suite brings much more management capability and when you use System Center Application Controller we can also manage Windows Azure.

There are indeed pros and cons to each hypervisor but we have had success with Hyper-v on Windows Server 2012.

If this has answered your question, please mark it!
    @sharepointmcts
    http://www.sharepointfeed.com

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:09 PM

All replies

• Hello Maryam,

I work for Harvard Business School and we have implemented a private cloud using Hyper-V and System Center products.

We have found that software defined networking works well for research where we cannot spend a lot of time with network infrastructure changes to suit the needs of the researchers.

Also we have found that using System Center is a step up from just using VCenter to control VMware machine provisioning.

The System Center suite brings much more management capability and when you use System Center Application Controller we can also manage Windows Azure.

There are indeed pros and cons to each hypervisor but we have had success with Hyper-v on Windows Server 2012.

If this has answered your question, please mark it!
    @sharepointmcts
    http://www.sharepointfeed.com

Thursday, January 9, 2014 6:09 PM
  • Hello Neal

Thanks for your reply

I want to implement a private cloud storage in my university with Hyper v 2012 and SCVMM 2012

but I am new in this work and can u say me what components need for this work? please

thanks

Friday, January 31, 2014 8:19 AM
  • For storage, you have several options here:

Block-based storage (with iSCSI or FC)

File-based storage (with SMB3.0 protocol, available in Windows Server 2012).

The file server option is basing on commodity hardware, so that you can truly leverage rich functionality without the traditional block-based storage cost.

-kn

Kristian (Virtualization and some coffee: http://kristiannese.blogspot.com )

Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Hi Neal,

Trying to get in contact with you. I am from a South African High-ed (University of Cape Town), and saw that you HBS implemented what we are currently busy with, and would have loved the opportunity to chat to you about your experience and possibly share ideas. I am in the US attending Educause towards the end of September. Not sure how I can get in contact with you but you can reach me on @eugenevanrooyen

Would appreciate your response

Eugene van Rooyen

University of Cape Town

Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:18 AM