How Do I Get Forefront?? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I'm currently running several machines at home (2 PCs) that I would like to secure with Forefront.  I would not want to install any of the server components, just the Client that I would update via Microsoft Update -- Essentially, set up as if they were the "free" home-use installs.

Since I only have the two machines, how do I purchase Forefront?  I don't want to install OneCare on these machines, as they are "work" machines and I prefer not having the fluff included with the home product.

Thanks in advance!

Friday, January 18, 2008 4:52 AM

All replies

• Windows OneCare is best for your two home computers as ForeFront is only for an enterprise environment.  See:

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/clientsecurity/howtobuy/default.mspx

Friday, January 18, 2008 8:46 AM
  • While I understand the intent is to provide enterprise control (using the management server), Forefront can run standalone as a client - As users are permitted to have a licenced copy installed at home, detatched from the domain Forefront is installed on.

Its a shame Microsoft won't allow customers to purchase these licenses for standalone use, as not everyone wants the additional features and "automatic control" in OneCare (like the backup and tuneup components).

I was afraid the answer would be what you said, so no worries there - I was just hoping otherwise.

Friday, January 18, 2008 2:33 PM