Issue with SharePoint_Config - No Objects RRS feed

• Question

• I was getting an error "Cannot connect to the configuration database." when launching my SharePoint 2007 site or Central Administration.

I checked my SharePoint database and found that the database SharePoint_Config did not have any objects (tables, view, procs etc); there is nothing under the database SharePoint_Config (no plus sign either).

Earlier this week; this server ran out of space and I had to clean some old/temporary files to create some space to it.

How do I fix the database SharePoint_Config?

Friday, February 22, 2013 5:57 PM

Answers

• Hi Entan,

All 4 of your suggestions were already tried before I posted this question and none helped. 

The 'Logging' feature was turned on and there were huge log files that I deleted to clear up more space  which resolved the issue.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I understand that you cannot connect to the configuration database after cleaning temporary files . Here are a few things to check:

1. Make sure that you are connecting to the correct database.
    2. Restart the SQL server to check whether this bring back the objects.
    3. Check the MDF file size of the SharePoint_Config database. If the file size is big, then the tables and views are still there but you don’t have permission to view them. The MDF file is located here: C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL10_50.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA
    4. Use a DB owner account to connect to the database to see whether he can view the tables.
    5. If the objects inside the SharePoint_Config DB is deleted permanently, you will need to rebuild your farm(You can use the existing content database in the new farm).

For more information about move content database, please refer to this site:

Move content databases between instances of SQL Server (Office SharePoint Server 2007): http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc262792(v=office.12).aspx

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, February 25, 2013 2:55 AM
  • Hi Entan,

All 4 of your suggestions were already tried before I posted this question and none helped. 

The 'Logging' feature was turned on and there were huge log files that I deleted to clear up more space  which resolved the issue.

Wednesday, February 27, 2013 1:46 PM