none
Move from FIM (Server2008R2) to MIM (Server2016) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We want to move from FIM 2010 R2 on windows server 2008 R2 to MIM 2016 SP1 on server 2016.

What is the process? I've read some blog about FIM > MIM but the OS upgrade is never discussed. There a way to export the configuration of FIM and reimport it in MIM?

The end of server 2008 is coming soon and I have been chosen for this migration.

Thank you

Monday, October 7, 2019 7:06 PM

Answers

• Hi,

This should be a rather smooth transition.

Depending on what downtime you are willing to accept there are a number of options. The easiest one (but with some downtime):

* Close down the services on the old FIM2010 R2 server.

* Keep or move the databases to a new SQL Server. Take a backup!

* Install MIM 2016 SP1 on a new server. Point to the "old" databases. They will be upgraded

* Testing

* Done

I'd take the longer approach though, with a parallel MIM2016SP1 server and do some functional testing before doing the upgrade.

Br,

Leo

Did my post help? Please use "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

• Marked as answer by Alex Cailyer Tuesday, October 8, 2019 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:42 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This should be a rather smooth transition.

Depending on what downtime you are willing to accept there are a number of options. The easiest one (but with some downtime):

* Close down the services on the old FIM2010 R2 server.

* Keep or move the databases to a new SQL Server. Take a backup!

* Install MIM 2016 SP1 on a new server. Point to the "old" databases. They will be upgraded

* Testing

* Done

I'd take the longer approach though, with a parallel MIM2016SP1 server and do some functional testing before doing the upgrade.

Br,

Leo

Did my post help? Please use "Mark as answer" or "Propose as answer". Thank you!

• Marked as answer by Alex Cailyer Tuesday, October 8, 2019 12:40 PM
    Tuesday, October 8, 2019 6:42 AM
  • Seem simple :) 

I'll do it in my test environnement today. 

Thank you

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 12:44 PM
  • Hi,

Glad I could help. Here's a guide from MSFT:
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-identity-manager/microsoft-identity-manager-2016-upgrade-from-fim-2010-r2

Br,

Leo

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 1:00 PM
  • It's an absolute breeze!

If you read this, don't forget to:

• Install SQL Native CLient
    • .Net 3.5
    • Export your encryption key
    • RSAT if you use some powershell script to manipulate AD pre and/or post sync

Thank you Leo

Tuesday, October 8, 2019 8:03 PM