none
Outdated ActiveX control Blocking RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all... I am working on blocking the new Outdated Active X Control feature that has come down in the Augst update but will not be in effect until the September updates. I know that I can use group policy or a registry edit to disable that feature, at least for the time being so we can do more testing on our enviornment. However, I do not see any feature in Internet Options that allows you to turn this on or off. Am I missing that setting? We are still on IE 9 in our enviornment. Thanks in advance!

Wednesday, September 3, 2014 3:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• This feature does not warn about or block ActiveX controls in the Local Intranet Zone or Trusted Sites Zone.

ref: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ie/archive/2014/08/06/internet-explorer-begins-blocking-out-of-date-activex-controls.aspx

You can also download updated Internet Explorer administrative templates, including these new settings, from the Administrative Templates for Internet Explorer page.

There is no point in having a user definable setting for blocking out of date ActiveX controls. It would defeat the whole purpose of the security patch...

Use the updated administrative Templates to administer it centrally in your company with GPO

or update/check your installed versions of Java RTE

Rob^_^

Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:26 AM
  • Thanks... I appreciate the response. I have already updated the ADMX to the newest version that includes the new Active X Control customizations and have disabled this setting for our environment for at least a few weeks so any issues that may need to be worked out can be worked out from Microsoft. We have also tested this feature and it should work without any issues, especially considering the websites I am worried about are intranet websites and they are trusted anyway.

I was just surprised to see that there was not an option for the user to disable this feature. Most of IE's group policies match up with an associated customizable value within IE. This feature does not seem to have that same correlation and I wanted to double check if that was correct. Thanks!

Thursday, September 4, 2014 2:41 AM