MDT Enabled Task Sequences Fail to Migrate RRS feed

• Question

• Afternoon all,

I’m trying to migrate my MDT task sequences from SCCM2007 to my new SCCM2012 RTM site. I have installed and integrated MDT2012 on the SCCM2012 site and also installed and integrated MDT2012 (over the existing MDT2010 installation) on the SCCM2007 site – however the migration is still unable to migrate the MDT task sequences.

It is providing a whole load of errors, one of which is listed below. I have highlighted in bold what I consider the important part of the text:

ERROR: [Worker]:                                 Entity IMAGE Windows 7 Ent SP1 (x86) v2.1 with path SMS_TaskSequencePackage.PackageID='SS300061' failed with: Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.LibraryException: Type BDD_UsePackage are not found. ---> Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.LibraryException: Type BDD_UsePackage are not found.     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Modeling.ObjectModelBase.GetLibraryType(String libraryAlias)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Adapters.ObjectManagerBase.Attach(Object value)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Adapters.WmiPropertyManager.<>c__DisplayClass16.<TryGetValue>b__12()     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ValueMap.GetCachedOrLoadAsArray(Type type, String key, Func`1 loader)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Adapters.WmiPropertyManager.TryGetValue(String propertyName, Boolean lazy, Type valueType, Object& value)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.DynamicSMS_TaskSequence_Group.get_Steps()     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.SMS_TaskSequencePackage.FixTaskSequenceStepReference(LibraryContext context, SMS_TaskSequence_Step step)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.SMS_TaskSequencePackage.FixTaskSequenceStepReference(LibraryContext context, SMS_TaskSequence_Step step)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.SMS_TaskSequencePackage.BeforeSaveObject(LibraryContext context, WmiPropertyManager propMgr)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.DynamicSMS_TaskSequencePackage.Save(LibraryContext )     --- End of inner exception stack trace ---     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.LibraryException.Escalate()     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Modeling.DynamicLibraryType.InvokeMethod(MethodInfo method, Object obj, Object[] parameters)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Modeling.DynamicLibraryType.PutInstance(Object instance, LibraryContext context)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.ConfigMgr10.PutInstance(ILibraryObject instance, LibraryContext context)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Adapters.ObjectManagerBase.PutInstance(ILibraryObject instance, LibraryContext context)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Adapters.ObjectManagerBase.ImportObject(ILibraryObject instance, LibraryContext context, ChangeTracker session, ConflictResolution& result)

I have read in a couple of places that MDT task sequences cannot be migrated and must be recreated from scratch on the 2012 environment. If this is true then it is unfortunate but I can do it.... I just don't want to go through all that work if there is a migration procedure. Anyone able to confirm/deny please.

Thanks guys

• Edited by JoeGough Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 7:17 PM

All replies

• This might help: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;2468097. It basically tells you to remove and re-add the MDT integration.

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 8:34 PM
  • I've done that a couple of times now but still nothing. Can anyone confirm/deny this is designed to work or is it simply not possible as I have read both in various places now...

Cheers

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:56 AM
  • Thursday, May 10, 2012 7:32 AM
  • yes - that was the only reference I have found on the web regarding it being meant to work - however I don't think it is clear if:

a) It works in RTM

b) He was using 2010 task sequences and not 2012 task sequences.

I put a question to him to ask for clarification last night before I came here.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 12:52 PM
  • You need to migrate (or merge) the existing MDT 2010 task sequence to MDT 2012 (in the ConfigMgr 2007 environment). The migration wizard dont understand the MDT 2010 stuff. (I'll update my blog post, to clarify that).

This can be done by creating a new MDT 2012 Task sequence (In CM07), and copy all your custom steps to the new Task Sequence. Just make sure that none of the MDT 2010 specific steps (like "Use Toolkit Package" etc.) are in the new Task Sequence.

Test the new Task Sequence, and then you should be able to migrate the Task Sequence!

Personaly... I'd do it this way:

1. Make a copy of the old Task Sequence.
    2. Delete all the MDT 2010 steps.
    3. Migrate the Task Sequence
    4. Create a new MDT 2012 Task Sequence in CM07
    5. Move all my custom steps to the new Task Sequence.

Ronni Pedersen | Configuration Manager MVP | Blogs: http://www.ronnipedersen.com/ and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:59 PM
  • hmmm.... sounds like I may as well just re-create the TS in 2012, configure the correct steps as per the 2007 TS but using the 2012 MDT package...

Thursday, May 10, 2012 5:57 PM
  • True... If you just have a few custom steps, just start over...

But if you have lots of custom steps with WMI queries and other requirements, it might save you some time to migrate them (and test it all again). Driver Packages, Bitlocker, BIOS configuration etc.

At least it saved lots of time for me.

Ronni Pedersen | Configuration Manager MVP | Blogs: http://www.ronnipedersen.com/ and SCUG.dk/ | Twitter @ronnipedersen

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:42 PM
  • I've taken on baord the advice here but still have a problem...

I installed MDT2012 on my old Config Manager 2007 site.

I created a TS using the MDT2012 Wizard.

Tested that TS worked within the CM2007 environment.

On the new CM2012 site, set up a migration job containing just that TS (and included objects). NOTE: CM2012 has MDT2012 integrated.

Migration failed :-(

Included packages migrated but the TS did not.

I think the errors below show that MDT2012 did not correctly install on CM2012. Am I right?

Messages in migmctrl.log:

WARNING: [Worker]: The following actions in task sequence EX10033C are not standard in Configration Manager 2007: BDD_UsePackage,BDD_Gather,BDD_Validate. Import into System Center 2012 Configuration Manager may fail. Is an extension installed in CM2007, such as the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT)?

ERROR: [Worker]: System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.     at System.RuntimeMethodHandle._InvokeMethodFast(Object target, Object[] arguments, SignatureStruct& sig, MethodAttributes methodAttributes, RuntimeTypeHandle typeOwner)     at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture, Boolean skipVisibilityChecks)     at System.Reflection.RuntimeMethodInfo.Invoke(Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, Binder binder, Object[] parameters, CultureInfo culture)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Modeling.DynamicLibraryType.InvokeMethod(MethodInfo method, Object obj, Object[] parameters)  |__Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.LibraryException: Type BDD_UsePackage are not found.  Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.LibraryException: Type BDD_UsePackage are not found.     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Modeling.ObjectModelBase.GetLibraryType(String libraryAlias)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Adapters.ObjectManagerBase.Attach(Object value)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Adapters.WmiPropertyManager.<>c__DisplayClass16.<TryGetValue>b__12()     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ValueMap.GetCachedOrLoadAsArray(Type type, String key, Func`1 loader)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.Adapters.WmiPropertyManager.TryGetValue(String propertyName, Boolean lazy, Type valueType, Object& value)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.DynamicSMS_TaskSequence_Group.get_Steps()     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.SMS_TaskSequencePackage.FixTaskSequenceStepReference(LibraryContext context, SMS_TaskSequence_Step step)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.SMS_TaskSequencePackage.FixTaskSequenceStepReference(LibraryContext context, SMS_TaskSequence_Step step)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.SMS_TaskSequencePackage.BeforeSaveObject(LibraryContext context, WmiPropertyManager propMgr)     at Microsoft.ConfigurationManagement.SoftwareLibrary.ObjectSerialization.ConfigMgr.DynamicSMS_TaskSequencePackage.Save(LibraryContext )

Friday, June 22, 2012 9:58 AM
  • UPDATE: I have removed MDT2012 on CM2012 and reinstalled it. But the problem is still there.
    Friday, June 22, 2012 11:23 AM
  • I had the same issue, tested the steps above with no sucess.

Workaround:
    Create an New TS in CM07 (Not MDT integrated) and add only the relevant steps from an MDT Integrated TS by copy /paste or drag an pray (Not all steps) that you want to migrate (bitlocker / WMI queries / TS logic etc ).

The migrate that TS to CM12 and add the steps to an created TS in CM12 to your needs.

That seems to be working.

// Daniel

• Proposed as answer by mdesjardins Monday, August 26, 2013 2:56 PM
    Thursday, August 16, 2012 10:00 AM
  • I also have this problem, I am running my ConfigMgr 2012 SP1 Beta server on Server 2012. Could it be that the OS playing a role in this?

I had to remove all step from MDT in the TS and all was good (Use Toolkit, Gather and Validate).

I did not test the import on any other environment so far (neither ConfigMgr 2012 CU1, or on Windows Server 2008 R2).

Maybe someone will have something to add.

Mat

Thursday, September 20, 2012 8:16 PM
  • You need to migrate (or merge) the existing MDT 2010 task sequence to MDT 2012 (in the ConfigMgr 2007 environment). The migration wizard dont understand the MDT 2010 stuff. (I'll update my blog post, to clarify that).

This can be done by creating a new MDT 2012 Task sequence (In CM07), and copy all your custom steps to the new Task Sequence. Just make sure that none of the MDT 2010 specific steps (like "Use Toolkit Package" etc.) are in the new Task Sequence.

Test the new Task Sequence, and then you should be able to migrate the Task Sequence!

Personaly... I'd do it this way:

1. Make a copy of the old Task Sequence.
    2. Delete all the MDT 2010 steps.
    3. Migrate the Task Sequence
    4. Create a new MDT 2012 Task Sequence in CM07
    5. Move all my custom steps to the new Task Sequence.

I have made a copy of a MDT task sequence, removed the "Use Toolkit Package", Gather, and Validate steps, and then I can migrate it.  The problem is that the upgrade to ConfigMgr 2012 is going to take a while to complete.  In the meantime, changes may get made to the old task sequence on the CM 2007 side and they won't be reflected in the new task sequence on the CM 2012 side.  Does anyone know how to fix it so the task sequence can be fixed on the CM 2007 side and migrate okay without having to remove the MDT steps?
    Thursday, July 25, 2013 5:03 PM