Express Installation Files in WSUS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - Im running WSUS on Server 2012 R2. WSUS Clients are mostly Server 2008 R2, 2012 R2 and Server 2016. Since last September MS moved in the direction of monthly rollups patches are growing every month causing disk space issues on servers. Can express installation of files in WSUS help with size of patches downloaded on WSUS clients?. Also what version of WSUS Clients support express installation of patches ?

Thank you

ad

Tuesday, May 30, 2017 8:41 PM

Answers

• Im not so much concerned about size of patches downloaded on WSUS Server which I can add storage to. More concerned with size of patches downloaded on clients. When does calculation happens during download on clients ?

ad

I think it's like this: (it's a guess, since I've not ever seen it documented)

- client performs scan/detection against WSUS catalog, and builds its list of Needed+Approved updates
    - client and WSUS negotiate if Express/Delta is available/suitable or not
    - if Express/Delta is suitable+available;
    -- client locally calculates Express/Delta
    -- client downloads the specific payload for its Express/Delta from WSUS
    -- client applies/installs the Express/Delta
    -- client reports status to WSUS

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Alvwan Tuesday, June 6, 2017 3:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Adnan-Vohra Tuesday, June 6, 2017 3:27 PM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:05 PM

All replies

• Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1 all support Express Installation files (yes, the feature is really that old)

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc708456(v=ws.10).aspx

Win10 didn't have it until Win10-1607-withApril2017CU.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/update/waas-optimize-windows-10-updates#express-update-delivery

Note that enabling Express Installation files on your WSUS, will increase (maybe three times) the data you download from MSFT and store on your WSUS servers, but it decreases the data you push around inside your network to clients, but, patching takes longer because there is more calculation (of the delta) needed.

Also, quite a few people are reporting "very slow" patching when they enable this feature on Win10 with ConfigMgr (not sure if it's affecting WSUS scenarios)

Also, note that MSFT have to release a delta blob for the related update to suit your delta. There's no guarantee that your delta will have a matching delta blob (but if you patch frequently eg monthly, you should be fine)

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Wednesday, May 31, 2017 1:01 AM
    Tuesday, May 30, 2017 9:29 PM
  • Unless you have a specific need for Express files, I would recommend avoiding them at this time. They store EVERY version of EVERY file that CAN change in ANY update.

The disk space issue on the servers - you're referring to the client servers or the WSUS Server?

Assuming you mean the client servers - Is the bulk of the space eaten up by the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution Folder or any of the update uninstallers? One way would be to clean out the old patch uninstallers and once in a while remove the SoftwareDistribution folder, but that means losing the history of what's happened with WSUS.

If it's the WSUS Server thats growing - check out my WSUS Cleanup script.

Have a peek at my Adamj Clean-WSUS script. It is the last WSUS Script you will ever need.

http://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/2998-adamj-clean-wsus

What it does:

1. Remove all Drivers from the WSUS Database.
    2. Shrink your WSUSContent folder's size by declining superseded updates.
    3. Remove declined updates from the WSUS Database.
    4. Clean out all the synchronization logs that have built up over time (configurable, with the default keeping the last 14 days of logs).
    5. Compress Update Revisions.
    6. Remove Obsolete Updates.
    7. Computer Object Cleanup (configurable, with the default of deleting computer objects that have not synced within 30 days).
    8. Application Pool Memory Configuration to display the current private memory limit and easily increase it by any configurable amount.
    9. Run the Recommended SQL database Maintenance script on the actual SQL database.
    10. Run the Server Cleanup Wizard.

It will email the report out to you or save it to a file, or both.

Although the script is lengthy, it has been made to be super easy to setup and use. There are some prerequisites and instructions at the top of the script. After installing the prerequisites and configuring the variables for your environment, simply run:

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -FirstRun

and then

.\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -InstallTask

If you wish to view or increase the Application Pool Memory Configuration, you must run it with the required switch. See Get-Help .\Clean-WSUS.ps1 -Examples

If you're having trouble, there's also a -HelpMe option that will create a log so you can send it to me for support.

Adam Marshall, MCSE: Security
    http://www.adamj.org

Wednesday, May 31, 2017 3:32 AM
  • The disk space issue on the servers - you're referring to the client servers or the WSUS Server?

Client Servers since monthly rollup sizes are increasing every month

ad

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:23 PM
  • Im not so much concerned about size of patches downloaded on WSUS Server which I can add storage to. More concerned with size of patches downloaded on clients. When does calculation happens during download on clients ?

ad

Thursday, June 1, 2017 3:25 PM

ad

I think it's like this: (it's a guess, since I've not ever seen it documented)

- client performs scan/detection against WSUS catalog, and builds its list of Needed+Approved updates
    - client and WSUS negotiate if Express/Delta is available/suitable or not
    - if Express/Delta is suitable+available;
    -- client locally calculates Express/Delta
    -- client downloads the specific payload for its Express/Delta from WSUS
    -- client applies/installs the Express/Delta
    -- client reports status to WSUS

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:06 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Alvwan Tuesday, June 6, 2017 3:26 PM
    • Marked as answer by Adnan-Vohra Tuesday, June 6, 2017 3:27 PM
    Thursday, June 1, 2017 9:05 PM
  • Hi,

Just want to confirm the current situations.

Please feel free to let us know if you need further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 3:26 PM
  • Thank you. I enabled the express install on WSUS. Looking Client logs it downloaded the entire file not delta payload.

017-05-31 13:01:36:147 932 cfc Handler Selected payload type is ptExpress
    2017-05-31 13:01:36:147 932 cfc Handler Detected download state is dsStart
    2017-05-31 13:01:36:147 932 cfc Handler Adding Windows6.1-KB4019264-x64-EXPRESS.cab (entire file) to request list.

2017-05-31 13:01:36:162 932 cfc Handler Request generation for CBS update complete with hr=0x0 and pfResetSandbox=0
    2017-05-31 13:01:36:162 932 cfc DnldMgr *** DnldMgr: New download job [UpdateId = {F4D9FD51-1540-435F-89B8-82DD5995FBD2}.200] ***
    2017-05-31 13:01:36:162 932 cfc DnldMgr BITS job initialized, JobId = {12793A40-897E-401B-A19B-225F8C6E6D74}
    2017-05-31 13:01:36:178 932 cfc DnldMgr
    Downloading from http://wsustst.com/Content/F6/A08CF9E7B2438C6BE6D3CC226848FE973AE38AF6.cab to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\764541b2a93cef4f6c2c372d1c4810ba\Windows6.1-KB4019264-x64-EXPRESS.cab (full file).
    2017-05-31 13:01:36:194 932 cfc Agent *

ad

Tuesday, June 6, 2017 3:31 PM