none
migration to new win2012r2 authoritative time server

Question

• I am ‘upgrading’ a physical win2008r2 domain controller that also holds the PDC Emulator role & is the time server for the forest.  Here’s my plan:

1) Since it is a physical server, in order to upgrade it I plan to transfer its roles to an existing Win2012r2 DC

2) DCPromo it from being a DC

3) rebuild it to Win2012r2

4) move the roles back.

During the time that the original win2008r2 server will be down for the upgrade, do I need to worry about the time server also being unavailable?  It could be ½ to 1 hour & that's if all goes well.

Thx!

Monday, March 13, 2017 3:50 PM

All replies

• Hi

- Add new server 2012 r2 as domain controller.

- Then transfer fsmo roles to new Server 2012 DC.and check replication,dc health after migration.

- Demote Old server 2008 r2 DC from domain,will do clean installation of Server 2012 r2 OS and promote it as DC again and transfer roles on it again.

- Also you should keep other dc as Additional Domain Controller for redundancy.(with DNS,GC roles)

And if ant other service already configured on current DC these need to migrate (and backup) to other Servers.But ideally you should migrate other roles on member servers.

Also check the this article to migration ;

http://blogs.msmvps.com/mweber/2012/07/27/upgrading-an-active-directory-domain-from-windows-server-2008-or-windows-server-2008-r2-to-windows-server-2012/

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Monday, March 13, 2017 4:32 PM
  • Thanks.

I already have 3 total DC's, so there is redundancy.  The 2012r2 one I reference above & 2 win2008r2 DC's that I plan to upgrade to win2012r2. 

My main question/concern is about the Time Service that runs on the current win2008r2 PDC emulator.  How long can it be unavailable before the domain starts experiencing issues? 

I don't want to set up another server as a temporary time server just for the duration of the upgrade.

Thx

Monday, March 13, 2017 8:49 PM
  •   How long can it be unavailable before the domain starts experiencing issues? 

It shouldn't be a problem. Clients can sync with other domain controllers.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773013(v=ws.10).aspx

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Monday, March 13, 2017 9:06 PM
  • Thanks.

I already have 3 total DC's, so there is redundancy.  The 2012r2 one I reference above & 2 win2008r2 DC's that I plan to upgrade to win2012r2. 

My main question/concern is about the Time Service that runs on the current win2008r2 PDC emulator.  How long can it be unavailable before the domain starts experiencing issues? 

I don't want to set up another server as a temporary time server just for the duration of the upgrade.

Thx

because of domain hierarchy clients sync time config from PDC.(Then which one is.),so there should not be a problem related with time.

This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees,and confers no rights. Best regards Burak Uğur

Tuesday, March 14, 2017 4:37 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, March 17, 2017 9:22 AM