HELP - can't log in - keyboard won't work at ctrl+alt+delete screen (or in any safe mode), tried everything typical RRS feed

• Question

• I restarted my Win7 x64 machine yesterday for the first time in weeks and now it's not allowing me to use the keyboard once it boots (including each type of F8 option: safe mode/last known/debugging/etc). Keyboard works in the BIOS, and it works in startup repair (which says everything is fine, because it gets to the logon screen).  

Prior to reboot I did a bunch of Windows updates including the latest Intellipoint keyboard software (and a failed iTunes 11 update).  I believe I also installed some chipset/LAN drivers for the wrong motherboard.

I have tried another keyboard, using USB ports on the USB3 controller, unplugging all other USB peripherals and disabling onboard devices in the BIOS.  I also tried to use the on-screen keyboard (mouse still works) but get a pop-up that the on-screen keyboard isn't available.

This machine is on a corporate domain but I wasn't able to remote into it either.  There are also no system restore points.  I'm pretty technical and comfortable at the command line, just don't know what to do next.  In debugging mode, looking at the log it seems that none of the .INF files load and the .sys files are successful until classpnp.sys loads.

Any ideas?

Monday, December 3, 2012 4:04 AM

Answers

• Hi,

1. Please try engage hardware vendor and run hardware diagnostics on the machine. Also we can replace the motherboard to check the issue.

2. If issue persists, please boot the machine to “Windows Recovery Environment with command prompt” using a DVD.

• Access C:\Windows\System32\Config folder.

• Type “ren system system.old”   (without quotes).

• Access C:\Windows\system32\config\regback folder.

• Type “copy system c:\windows\system32\config”

• Exit Recovery Environment and try to boot the machine.

3. If step 1 and 2 do not work, perform a parallel installation on another partition (without formatting the partition).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

• Marked as answer by Cloud_TS Tuesday, December 18, 2012 1:38 AM
    Wednesday, December 5, 2012 9:24 AM