Asking for password when running exe from network RRS feed

• Question

• After we image a Win7 Pro computer we go to our file server to install custom applications. At this point the computer is joined to the domain but we are logged in as a local administrator account.

When we double-click on EXE files on the network server it asks us if we want to elevate. We click Yes. It then asks for a network username and password. We put ours in and it will install. Now we install another EXE file, and it asks for a username and password again. Rise and repeat for every EXE file.

When logged in as a domain user on the PC this does not happen.

Now, I've already authenticated to the file server. I can run and install MSI's from the server without issue. We don't have any fancy networking settings on the file server or client. This happens across multiple images made by different people with different styles.

Does anyone know why this is or how I can get rid of that?

Thank you!

My idea of a party is a virtualization server and a room of TechNet DVDs
    Wednesday, April 13, 2011 8:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Daniel Wolf,

Thanks for posting in TechNet forum.

The first time need you input the username and password. Did you use a domain account?

Did you check "Remember my credentials" at this time?

Please give me a screenshot when you get the second prompt window, you can upload it via SkyDrive.

You can run MSI file from server without issue. Because the MSI and EXE are different file type. MSI file are database file, is used by Windows Installer, it's a Windows Installer Package. It's executed by an EXE file that is part of Windows, called MSIEXEC.EXE. This application reads the data in MSI file and executes the installation. An EXE file contains the executable code for a computer to run.  For the security reason, running an .exe file need the elevated permission.

In addition, which version of your server? I would like to know how's your server configure the remote access permission for a user. Did you enable the Guest account in your server?

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Thursday, April 14, 2011 8:34 AM
  • If you're using the same admin-username on both sides, check whether they also have the same registered password, though I don't know how it acts on a Server-PC. (Explanation in the three last posts of this thread.)
    †I wanna live, I wanna love, but it's a long hard road out of hell!†
    Friday, April 15, 2011 2:09 AM
  • Hi Miya! Thanks for your help! I apologize for the delay in my reply.

I did not select save credentials because I do not want them cached beyond a reboot. In XP once I authenticated to a server with domain credentials I could run any EXE file on it without it requesting my credentials one more time.

Perhaps I'm not fully understanding UAC. I run the EXE. I click yes when it asks if I want to elevate. Since I'm running as local administrator it should not ask me for further credentials?

My plan once I get back to the office next week:

I will take some screenshots or a flash video.
    Instead of typing domain credentials at the prompt I will try local credentials. This will tell me if the local computer is asking for it or the server.
    I'm also going to do a packet capture to see what's going on.

I am using a 2003 sever. Guest is disabled.

Thank you for you help,
    Daniel Wolf

My idea of a party is a virtualization server and a room of TechNet DVDs

Saturday, April 16, 2011 3:03 PM
  • Hi Daniel,

How's going now?

If you enable the UAC, when install the application, you need the elevated permission to execute it. However, since you're logon as local administrator, there's no need to input the credential again. Are there's any restriction settings on your server 2003?

Upload the screenshots via SkyDrive, I'll check if I can reproduce your issue and find the solution or workaround.

Regards,

Miya

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Tuesday, April 19, 2011 9:33 AM
  • Hi Daniel,

What's going on now?

Regards,

Miya

Monday, April 25, 2011 5:12 AM