Can a Site collection mounted with Multiple RBS? RRS feed

• Question

• A SharePoint portal is having only one site collection which i can't refactor(Split) and the Content DB size is 160GB and RBS of 550GB.

The content DB will grow beyond Microsoft recomendation i.e 200GB, down the line in a year.

Please let me know if any option Or suggestion to optimize the Storage?

P N Bharath

Friday, August 2, 2013 10:50 AM

Answers

• As long as you're using SharePoint 2010 SP1 or later then the supported limit is 4TB so you have a lot of headroom available. As far as MS guidance goes there is no difference between data stored in the database and as blobs, as such you're already at 710GB.

It is not possible to have multiple RBS providers, nor would it help, it might in theory provide more granular control of the files but it won't reduce the size of the content. As such your options are upgrade to SP2013 which has much better handling for large files (especially if you use versioning) or to tolerate it and ensure that your SQL instance is capable of a full recovery.

Monday, August 5, 2013 5:39 PM

All replies

• What settings are defined for blob?  That seems extraordinarily large.  With regards to your first question, I don't think so since it's defined in the webconfig. 

MCITP-EA | "Never test how deep the water is with both feet"

Sunday, August 4, 2013 4:04 PM
  • Hi,

According to your post, you want to know some suggestions for your storage.

The following are my suggestions:

1. Modify the version setting.If there is too many old versions for documents in library, we can modify the setting to keep only recent versions.

2. Split site collections. If there is too many site collections in a single content database, we can consider split them to other content database in the same web application.

3. Find out more about disk usage for the database in SQL Server Management Studio.Right click the database, select reports->standard reports->disk usage. If the transaction log takes too much space, we can backup the log or just truncate it.

4. Shrink the database files, which will actually reduce the file size.

5. Clear event cache table.View the reports->standard reports->disk usage by top tables for the database. If we find that it is Event Cache table that takes too much space, we can configure to keep it for a short period:http://blogs.technet.com/b/vinitt/archive/2010/01/01/how-to-clear-event-cache-table-in-supportable-ways.aspx

Best Regards,

Linda Li

• Edited by Lindali Monday, August 5, 2013 3:55 PM edit
    Monday, August 5, 2013 3:51 PM
  • As long as you're using SharePoint 2010 SP1 or later then the supported limit is 4TB so you have a lot of headroom available. As far as MS guidance goes there is no difference between data stored in the database and as blobs, as such you're already at 710GB.

It is not possible to have multiple RBS providers, nor would it help, it might in theory provide more granular control of the files but it won't reduce the size of the content. As such your options are upgrade to SP2013 which has much better handling for large files (especially if you use versioning) or to tolerate it and ensure that your SQL instance is capable of a full recovery.

Monday, August 5, 2013 5:39 PM
  • One of the biggest concerns with such a large database size is backup and recovery. If you have tools that can handle that then you should be okay, assuming performance isn't an issue.

Please remember to mark your question as answered if this solves your problem.

Monday, August 5, 2013 6:30 PM
  • All my ways got blocked to refactor this single sitecollection. As suggested better to move on for SP 2013.

Thank you Alex.

P N Bharath

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 4:12 AM
  • Hi Alex,

As stated Multiple RBS providers are not possible for a single content DB. 

Then, Can i create multiple Content DB's with RBS enabled, on a single SQL server (currently my server supports >4TB File system storage)? So i can mount each RBS enabled Content DB to different site collections?

P N Bharath

Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:01 AM