Windows 7 64-bit SP1 Spontaneously reboots with no warning RRS feed

• Question

• My system specs are HP Pavillion e9150t.  It's an Intel i7 box with 8GB of RAM.

The only evidence I have that the reboot happened is that during the restart, I get the message “the computer did not shut down properly - do I wish to boot normally.”

I have Microsoft Security Essentials installed (64-bit).  I have not uninstalled it and reinstalled it yet…

The issue happens in Safe Mode, Cleanboot (according to the info found in http:/support.microsoft.com/kb/929135) and regular mode and the problem still occured.

When the reboots happen, they happen within a few seconds at 8 mins past the hour.  There is no rhyme or reason to which hour it will do it.

I also tested by putting the system in sleep mode and sure enough it rebooted on me at 10:08 AM.

The reboots are all related Event ID 6008 in the Event Viewer.  .  I have filtered the ID's in the event viewer to separate files.

On March 09,  I removed SP1 to see if that resolved the issue and it did not.

On March 10th, I readded SP1 to see if it was a faulty install of SP1 and no go.

I have run a full suite of hardware diagnostics and they all pass so I am back to troubleshooting with Windows as the cause of the issue.  I did run Memtest on March 12th and the memory is checking out fine - I am still almost 100% positive that it is not hardware related.

On March 11th, I did a System Restore to the 4th of March (earliest I could do).  Apparently the System Restore did not resolve the issue as the system did reboot on March 12<sup>th</sup> at 2:08 and 4:08 this AM.

In addition I have a number of Event ID 36888 (SChannel "The following fatal alert was generated: 10. The internal error state is 10.") occurring as well but during one of my diagnostic sessions, I removed it from the Network and that seemed to stop those during the Network disconnection so I am going to say that this not part of the issue.

Based on some of the postings here in Technet, I tried looking for C:\Windows\Minidumps and I cannot seem to find the folder – and yes I have confirmed that I can see all files and folders in the Windows Subdirectory.

Any assistance that could be provided would be most appreciated.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 12:19 PM

Answers

• Go get a new PSU, that one is garbage.

Find a model with 40A of +12V so that you have a safe margin.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:50 AM
  • what's the name of the PSU manufacture?

For an I7 with 8GB and maybe a fast nVIDIA/ATI GPU the PSU not enough power (A).

Get an Enermax or Be Quiet! PSU with 500W and 80Plus certificate.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    • Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brian Hankey Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:14 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:20 PM

All replies

• Hi,

look at this KB article:

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

and check the 3 scenarios. I think you should look at scenario 3. Test all 5 steps.

André

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:18 PM

• Hi,

look at this KB article:

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first”

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

and check the 3 scenarios. I think you should look at scenario 3. Test all 5 steps.

André

Hi Andre - Thank you for the quick answer.  I had already seen that article as well.  I am sorry that I omitted that from the troubleshooting.

Here are my answers:

1. Overclocking : Disable overclocking and see whether the issue happens when the system is run at the correct speed.

My system is not overclocked - I have it at the default that I received the system
    2. Check the memory : Verify the memory by using a memory checker. Verify that each memory chip is the same speed and that it is configured correctly in the system.

I checked the memory for 4 hrs last night using Memchecker ISO per one of your suggestions in another post.
    3. Power Supply : Make sure that the power supply has enough wattage to appropriately handle the installed devices. If you added memory, installed a newer processor, installed additional drives, or added external devices, such devices may require more energy than the current power supply can provide consistently.

I have not changed anything in the power load since I got the machine new a year ago.  It has been having the same power draws off it.
    4. Overheating : Check whether the system is overheating by examining the internal temperature of the hardware.

The cores are running at 40C / 50C even when running the system at full tasking.  I have plenty of ventilation around the cabinet. 
    5. Defaults : Use system defaults, and run the system.

As indicated in my troubleshooting, the problem occurs even in Safe Mode or a Clean Boot :(
    Looking forward to working with the team :)
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:51 PM
  • Load the default BIOS settings, please and remove all hardware/drives you don't need all the time.

Sunday, March 13, 2011 1:54 PM
  • Will do that shortly and advise the results.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 2:19 PM
  • HP is notorious for dodgy power supplies. Insufficient power can cause havoc.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Quite frankly I would tend to agree but in this case, I don't really think it's hardware because the reboot always happens within 30 seconds each side of 8 minutes past the hour (99% of the time it is within seconds after 8 minutes past the hour.

Is there a way to determine outside of scheduled tasks to see if there is a process that kicks off at 8 minutes past every hour?

B

Sunday, March 13, 2011 5:52 PM
  • I had the same exact problem - took me a month - either replace the motherboard (MSI gaming board) or try new DDR3. Easiest thing was buy 4GBs of DDR3 and try them. That was the problem. It was too late to get a refund on the bad stuff from OCZ but they did replace it. This quad core with 8GB ram is really hard for the wife to crash now. I have a friend who builds high end AMD machines - uses MSI boards. He has had a lot of problems with DDR3. Sounds like you might try replacing the RAM.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:01 PM
  • http://www.hardcore-games.tk/papers/psu.php

everything you wanted to know about a PSU and a whole lot more

Thanks for sharing that - It was an interesting read.
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:46 PM
  • I had the same exact problem - took me a month - either replace the motherboard (MSI gaming board) or try new DDR3. Easiest thing was buy 4GBs of DDR3 and try them. That was the problem. It was too late to get a refund on the bad stuff from OCZ but they did replace it. This quad core with 8GB ram is really hard for the wife to crash now. I have a friend who builds high end AMD machines - uses MSI boards. He has had a lot of problems with DDR3. Sounds like you might try replacing the RAM.
    Question - was your system rebooting at the same times every time - or was it random?
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 6:47 PM
  • I use AMD based boards in my shop, made by Asus who make relatively good machines.

Guys, give me detailed system specs or better come to my IT site and join my forum where I can help better as its easier for me to look up existing articles.

My system specs are an HP default system - I bought it in February 2010 and has been running like a champ.  The processor is an Intel i7  920 running at 2.67 Ghz - not overclocked.  I have 8GB of RAM and my only drive in there is a 1TB Hard drive. 

I have 2 Seagate USB drives that I have disconnected based on Andre's recommendations. 

What other specs would you like to know?

Sunday, March 13, 2011 11:43 PM
  • It's a 460W power supply.
    Monday, March 14, 2011 12:39 AM
  • Can you look at the PSU sticker inside and see how much 12V current is available.

I have a sneaking suspicion the PSU they provided is inadequate.

I would believe that if the system didn't work correctly out of the box but I haven't added or removed any hardware in the last 9 months and it's only started doing it within the last week. 
    Monday, March 14, 2011 12:47 AM
  • Power supplies will degrade quickly when loaded close to their limit.

I believe in using far better power supplies.

http://www.hardcore-games.tk/papers/psu.php

Remote Assistance is available for a fee.

Thanks for the advice.  I will continue to monitor.  Thus far, I am sitting at <knock on wood> 5 hrs without rebooting.  (ironic that I am actually proud on a Windows machine that i have gone 5 hrs... but that is a thread for another argument :) )
    Monday, March 14, 2011 1:17 AM

and what s the result?

Monday, March 14, 2011 2:15 PM

and what s the result?

Sorry Andre - I was at work at a different location. I have confirmed that it did not work. The system rebooted overnight more than one (12:08, 2:08, 4:08, and 6:08 and then a couple of times since then.)
    Monday, March 14, 2011 5:17 PM
  • open the PC and look at the sticker on the PSU and post the data here.

André

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:25 PM
  • open the PC and look at the sticker on the PSU and post the data here.

André

Here you go...

Max Power 460W

Output +5V / 13A

+12Va / 16A

+12Vb / 15A

+12Vc / 8A

+3.3V / 17A

-12V / 0.8A

+5Vstb / 2A

Max Combined Power On +12Va +12Vb & +12Vc Equal to 385W

I took a snapshot of the PSU and can provide a link if requested.

Thanks again for the help :)

B

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:12 AM
  • what's the name of the PSU manufacture?

For an I7 with 8GB and maybe a fast nVIDIA/ATI GPU the PSU not enough power (A).

Get an Enermax or Be Quiet! PSU with 500W and 80Plus certificate.

André

• Proposed as answer by Andre.Ziegler Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:20 PM
    • Marked as answer by Brian Hankey Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:14 PM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:20 PM
  • Andre - it's a Delta Electronics Inc. PSU - It's the default that came with the system.  I will go ahead and quote out some PSU's.

Thanks to all for the assistance - I will credit both of you as the answer :)

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:14 PM
  • Andre - it's a Delta Electronics Inc. PSU - It's the default that came with the system.

this is really a low end PSU. Get a better one from a good manufacture.

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:33 PM
  • Brian et al. -

I *was* having the same problem, on *two* machines.

Both machines were recently upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit to Windows 7 64 SP1.

Both machines were home built to be defacto servers.

Both have been running happily for at least a year.

Both have 8Gb of RAM and power supplies adequate to the tasks of pushing their video cards and other hardware.

One has an MSI Mobo. One has an ASUS Mobo. Both have Intel processors.

After installing SP1, I started getting sudden random freezes, and the occasional BSOD. I checked the event logs and was getting memory errors, including "Memory Management" BSODs. Note that I was getting these errors on BOTH machines.

I ran Memtest86 (multiple passes) on both systems. I had not added new hardware, so it probably wasn't a weak power supply. Everything looked fine on the hardware side.

So what worked for me? I UNINSTALLED SP1 in safe mode, and NOW EVERYTHING IS RUNNING FINE. No freezes, no BSODs.

I can't figure out why Microsoft has such problems getting memory management, and the (possibly related) networking ironed out in Windows 7. It seems that they stripped out a bunch of code from XP (that WORKED) when they went from Vista to Win 7. I have wasted more time diagnosing, and fixing such issues, usually finding answers provided not by MS, but by another frustrated end user in one of dozens of threads about the same issue.

Software development is my business, so I'll keep using Windows. But for Pete's sake, can MS PLEASE work out these bugs instead of ALWAYS BLAMING THE HARDWARE?????????

Sorry about the rant. I hope that what I went through helps you :-)

April

Friday, March 25, 2011 11:49 AM
  • Which PSU do you use?

Friday, March 25, 2011 12:49 PM