none
Recovery point limit for DPM server has been exceeded. (ID: 31220) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've been struggling with this error for a couple of days and am not getting anywhere. This is the sequence of events that caused it:

1. I decommissioned a protected server, then commissioned its replacement, having copied all the data across.
    2. I installed the DPM agent on the new server but didn't add it to the protection group yet.
    3. I then stopped protection of the old file server and kept the recovery points in Inactive Protection.
    4. I then went to add the new server back into the previous server's protection group but every time I tried I got the 31220 error.
    5. I even tried adding one single folder from the new server into a basic protection group with one day's retention. Still the same error.

Now I read somewhere that the VSS limit is 9000 snapshots but unless I'm being stupid I don't see we're anywhere near that. I ran one of Mike Jacquet's useful scripts (see below) but I'm still none the wiser. I need to protect this new server. HELP!

Server OS: 2012 R2
    DPM: 2012 R2, Build 4.2.1553.0

Script Current_Shadow_Copy_Provision Version 2.2
    Found 4076 snapshots on this server
    WARNING: Connecting to DPM server: DPM01
    Provisioning      Protection Group       # of Snapshots
    --------------- ------------------------- ------------------
    63 Head Office Bare Metals and System States 0
    560 Head Office Hyper-V Servers 796
    14 Miscellaneous Servers 10
    1215 Head Office File Servers 1429
    50 Sync Datacentre DPM Server - File Server Data & SQL 51
    42 Remote Office File Servers - System State 0
    616 Remote Office File Servers - Data 440
    765 Head Office Exchange Server 572
    84 Head Office Domain Controllers 84
    140 Remote Office File Servers - C Drives 141
    553 Inactive Protection 553
    --------------- --------------------------------------------------------------- ------------------
    4102                               4076

• Edited by AndyChips Friday, September 30, 2016 10:09 AM
    Friday, September 30, 2016 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi, Andy!

Not so long ago i moved my DPM clients from old to new DPM server.

But first of all, question: do you have one share DPM storage for old and new DPM servers? Or do you have different DPM servers with different names, and DPM storage?

I can you recommend next step with links and script to migration.

1) install new DPM server with new name and new DPM storage

2) Install latest updates to Windows Server and UR to DPM server

3) Remove (move data to inactive protection) data from OLD DPM server

4) Remove agent of protected servers from OLD DPM

Powershell:

Remove-ProductionServer.ps1 <DPM Server Name> <Protected Server Name FQDN>

5) Install agent to protected servers from NEW DPM manual or auto with scripts

here some scripts:

• share DPM agent from DPM server (for example)
    • use psexec
    • use script to install DPM Agent
    psexec \\<Name of Protected Server> -u domain\Admin cmd /s /c \\<FQDN DPM Server>\DPMAgentx64\DPMAgentInstaller_KB3162908_AMD64.exe /q <FQDN of DPM Server> /IAcceptEula

• use the script to install settting for working with DPM Server (Name and firewall exception)
    psexec \\Name of <Protected Server> -u domain\Admin cmd /s /c "cd "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin\" && SetDpmServer.exe -dpmservername <Name of DPM Server>"

6) Create Protection group at the NEW DPM servers

If you have one DPM storage for OLD and NEW DPM Servers that i recommend next link: Move the DPM server to a different computer

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog
    System Center
    Hyper-V

Friday, September 30, 2016 11:46 AM
  • Hi, EugeneLeitan and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I think you may have misread my question. I don't want to move any protected servers to a new DPM server.

The DPM server I have already has sufficient storage (11TB of 55TB free). It just seems to have run out of recovery points - but I can't see how to get an accurate total, or where these recovery points are being used.

Thanks,

Andy.

Friday, September 30, 2016 11:57 AM
  • Hi, EugeneLeitan and I appreciate you taking the time to reply.

I think you may have misread my question. I don't want to move any protected servers to a new DPM server.

The DPM server I have already has sufficient storage (11TB of 55TB free). It just seems to have run out of recovery points - but I can't see how to get an accurate total, or where these recovery points are being used.

Thanks,

Andy.

oh, thanks, Andy.

I slept today only 4 hours so this inconsiderate :(

For me this issue new and i can recommend to delete some recovery point (inactive or active) and will see what happens with problem

Also i found some definition

1) DPM failed to apply the required policies to this protection group since the recovery point limit for this DPM server has been exceeded.

Essentially this error is telling you that too many recovery points have been defined. The first thing that you should do in this situation is to see if you can decrease the number of express full backups that are being performed. If doing so isn’t an option, then you might be able to reduce the number of protected data sources or decrease the retention range.

from http://searchdatabackup.techtarget.com/tip/Five-Microsoft-DPM-errors-and-how-to-prevent-them

2) get numbers of VSS shadows copies

For example, to save "diskshadow list shadows all" output to a file:
    > make a diskshadow script file called c:\temp\list.cmd
    > modify list.cmd by adding the following line:
    > list shadows all
    > type in:
    diskshadow -s c:\temp\list.cmd > c:\temp\listoutput.txt

from http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21692175

3) "The error 31220 could appear if you try to store for example 61 snapshots wich isn't possible. You could try to use less Express-Full backups on your protected files."

from "Recovery Point Limit for this DPM server has been exceeded"

Have a nice day !!!
    DPM 2012 R2: Remove Recovery Points
    DPM blog
    System Center
    Hyper-V

Friday, September 30, 2016 12:56 PM
  • Hi, EugeneLeitan,

Thanks again for the reply.

1. The obvious fix is to remove the old server from Inactive Protection but that would mean losing a month's worth of recovery points. Obviously the number of recovery points will reduce daily (which is good), but while we wait for this we still won't be able to protect the new server - which we need to do NOW!
    2. I ran this command on the DPM server and it reports 4048 shadow copies. Am I right in assuming each shadow copy equates to a recovery point? If so, we are well below the 9000 limit. Please correct me here if I'm wrong.
    3. 61 snapshots: how would I find this information on the DPM server?

I think part of the problem here is terminology. How does a Snapshot relate to a Shadow Copy, also a Recovery Point? Perhaps I need to do some reading - unless you can give me a synopsis?

Many thanks,

Andy.

• Edited by AndyChips Friday, September 30, 2016 1:23 PM
    Friday, September 30, 2016 1:23 PM