none
Install RDS on an existing MS SQL Server & Application Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Everyone,

A client of ours has an application for industrial food processing. It's running on a Windows 2012R2 server together with MS SQL Server 2017 (the APP Server). The APP server also has a SAGE50 client with an EDI component for SAGE.

The application's client does not use a client-server software design. Instead, the client exe file is on the APP server and it's is run from a UNC shortcut from each workstation. The latency has increased as we have scaled up, so we installed an RDS server on the same network segment as the APP server to reduce inter-network traffic.

Although the speed and network traffic issues have been resolved by the RDP server, the client executable crashes periodically when it's run from the RDP server. It does works fine when run from Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10 desktop PC's.

The developer is saying that in order to use RDP, the RDP/TS has to be integrated into the APP server. He is asking me to install RDP/TS roles on to the existing APP server.

Could installing RDP/TS roles on an existing production server break some of applications?

I am worried about SQL and RDS on the same server. Has anybody seen that before?

Any suggestions?

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services
    https://www.falconitservices.com

• Edited by Miguel Fra Friday, May 15, 2020 4:30 PM
    Friday, May 15, 2020 3:11 PM

Answers

• HI
    1." the client executable crashes periodically when it's run from the RDP server. It does works fine when run from Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10 desktop PC's."

2.“Could installing RDP/TS roles on an existing production server break some of applications?”
    I think the answer is yes. some application can not run together with RDsession host server.
    can you build a test RDS environment(with only RD session host role) and only install issue application and SQL server on it? check if that app can work fine in this condition,since I haven't see someone install SQL server on session host server.

Install RDS on Server 2012 Standard running SQL Standard
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2098913-install-rds-on-server-2012-standard-running-sql-standard

server 2012r2 
    Evaluations
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2

3."
    It does works fine when run from Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10 desktop PC's."
    from this information ,i am not sure why we need to build session host server ?
    did your win7/8/10 client computer not in the same network segment as app server ?
    if the answer is yes,did you mind building a Hyper-V environment or Microsoft VDI environment and 
    vm(win10) guest, so that  vm(win10) guest is in the same network segment as app server. finally 
    end user can remote access these vm(win10) to use your issue app.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, May 18, 2020 3:25 AM
  • HI
    You are welcome!
    we can test my step 2 ,if your issue still happen and there will be new issue, i think we need to go step3 indeed.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:03 AM

All replies

• HI
    1." the client executable crashes periodically when it's run from the RDP server. It does works fine when run from Windows 7, 8.1 or Windows 10 desktop PC's."

2.“Could installing RDP/TS roles on an existing production server break some of applications?”
    I think the answer is yes. some application can not run together with RDsession host server.
    can you build a test RDS environment(with only RD session host role) and only install issue application and SQL server on it? check if that app can work fine in this condition,since I haven't see someone install SQL server on session host server.

Install RDS on Server 2012 Standard running SQL Standard
    https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/2098913-install-rds-on-server-2012-standard-running-sql-standard

server 2012r2 
    Evaluations
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/evaluate-windows-server-2012-r2

3."
    did your win7/8/10 client computer not in the same network segment as app server ?
    if the answer is yes,did you mind building a Hyper-V environment or Microsoft VDI environment and 
    vm(win10) guest, so that  vm(win10) guest is in the same network segment as app server. finally 

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Monday, May 18, 2020 3:25 AM

• 3."

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Thank you for the reply, this is a good idea. I would drive up the costs of running a virtual desktop but it would work as a good option.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:32 PM
  • Hello,

Yes, the software runs on a separate network segment as originally recommended by the developer. Originally, all client users were on the same subnet but the design changed later on and we started adding clients that were not on the same subnet, eventually creating an inter-subnet bottleneck.

We installed RDS server on the same same subnet as the application server so that clients from the other subnets could access it via RDP. Although that resolved the speed issue, the software is quirky running on RDS.

The developer of course blamed RDS and/or the environment, stating that if it runs fine on Windows 7/8/10 desktop it should also work fine on RDS.

Once again, the software is not a modern client/server model where I can use the change user /install command to install it for all RDP users. The users access the client EXE file from a UNC shortcut and the software loads on to RAM and runs on the RDP desktop.

Miguel Fra
    Falcon IT Services

• Edited by Miguel Fra Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:39 PM
    Tuesday, May 19, 2020 8:37 PM
  • HI
    You are welcome!
    we can test my step 2 ,if your issue still happen and there will be new issue, i think we need to go step3 indeed.

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, May 20, 2020 11:03 AM
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Saturday, May 23, 2020 1:24 PM
  • HI
    Is there anything to help you?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Wednesday, May 27, 2020 9:58 AM