MS Office 2013 Stopped working after 3/12/14 Patch RRS feed

• Question

• The entire suite of Office stopped working after the latest patch.  I did 1/2 last week and it got interrupted - this is when the problem started; and did the other 1/2 on the 18th without any change. Includes: Access, Excel, Info Path, Lync, OneNote, Outlook, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Word.  SkyDrive still seems to be working.  I now have two entries in the Start menu:

Excel 2013  3/18/2014

Excel  1/24/2013

Neither works.  When I click the icon from the taskbar, it highlights for several seconds the goes away.  No processes are started (monitor with Process Explorer). Stuff I've tried that hasn't worked:

• Restoring Office programs to previous version.
    • Backing out patches (although some refuse to be backed out). I installed some of the optional ones associated with Office, but those did get backed out.
    • Starting programs in safe mode.
    • Turn off anti-virus and firewall.
    • The interwebs are silent on anything similar (except for the suggestions above on previous versions/patches).

What gets me is there is no error or activity whatsoever. What I don't want to do is reinstall, since I do have a fair amount of customization which I hate to redo, and I really like to fix things or understand why they are broken so they don't happen again.  In the case of customization, safe mode would have been great, but now I face reinstall without real root cause.

Any help or suggestions or knowledge on this?

Thursday, March 20, 2014 2:31 AM

Answers

• KB890830 is a source of evil in this case.

You can try to uninstall it - I went around and reinstalled whole office using FixIt! From here  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501.

Then I`ve installed Office 2013 again, input key and activate it, and finally install Office 2013 SP1. Seems to be fine since then.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:21 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:54 AM

All replies

• KB890830 is a source of evil in this case.

You can try to uninstall it - I went around and reinstalled whole office using FixIt! From here  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2739501.

Then I`ve installed Office 2013 again, input key and activate it, and finally install Office 2013 SP1. Seems to be fine since then.

• Marked as answer by Tony Chen CHN Thursday, April 10, 2014 2:21 AM
    Thursday, March 20, 2014 10:54 AM
  • Thanks Wojciech, but don't have KB890830 installed.

Just after posting, I found a very promising article: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/office-2013-wont-start/0269c763-7a03-4a6f-81cb-6522ef7d3ea3

However, I thought reinstalling the updates was probably best so that I could work through from that standpoint. So after a shutdown and startup today, I find all of Office removed for me. Sweet - problem solved!!???  *sigh* Not only that, but any configuration files or customizations are completely gone as well, so no chance of saving them off first.

Thursday, March 20, 2014 11:51 PM
  • This has happened to me on several computers.  It happen on the first round of updates after I installed the One Drive.  Uninstalling office on 50 computers is not a good answer.
    Friday, April 4, 2014 12:56 PM