none
Files disappearing in Onedrive For Business

Question

• Does Microsoft search through files of OneDrive for Business? I posted some files into the onedrive a few months ago (July 2017) and now I cannot access/find them. I need to get access to these files I created for business planning. Actually I think their gone.

Here are screenshots of the specific files in my tenant:

Sunday, December 31, 2017 8:14 PM

All replies

• Here are questions numbered:

1. Does Microsoft search through files of OneDrive for Business?

2. Why is the search engine returns different inside of portal vs. ODFB itself?

2a. Is the search engine case-sensitive?

3. Is there way to search in ODFB using folders? If I could get to the folders I might be able still get access to the files.

4. Is there a way to keep files from being searched by Microsoft Algorithms?

• Edited by ResidentX10 Sunday, December 31, 2017 9:12 PM
    Sunday, December 31, 2017 8:34 PM
  • It just tried in Edge and IE11 and both gave me 404 errors on my files. They are missing without a doubt now.

• Edited by ResidentX10 Sunday, December 31, 2017 8:43 PM
    Sunday, December 31, 2017 8:42 PM
  • Hi,

1. Yes, Microsoft Online search could crawl files of OneDrive for Business.

2. When you use the Query Box in OneDrive for Business, the results are from:

• Items in your OneDrive for Business.
    • Items that someone has shared with you.
    • Items that are stored on a site that you follow.

When you search using portal search center, the results are from the entire tenant. 

So, they may return different results when search using them.

To find a document that your OneDrive for Business has or someone share with you, you can use OneDrive for Business search and also could you portal search center.

2a, The search engine is not case-sensitive.

3. You can use a folder using search in ODFB, like:

When you search for these files using portal search and search in ODFB, are there results returning? If you have permissions on them and could not find them via the two search, it is possible that they are deleted by someone.

In addition, a note to remind you: here is a public forum, to protect your privacy information, when you post a image or log file, please note to erase your privacy information.

Thanks,

Wendy

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, January 01, 2018 2:29 AM
  • Thanks, Wendy for the edit. I was on a new computer at the time and had not installed all the software to edit. Paint is no longer a part of Windows 10 so I couldn't do a quick cleanup.

Moving along, the files portal search finds the file but they only show like a "ghost' file because when I try to click it is gone. I've posted a screenshot below:

Monday, January 01, 2018 5:43 AM
  • When Microsoft crawls, can they remove folders and files. My files and the folder it was in were private to me because I was working on it. It was not available for someone else to delete. Also, I'm the admin of the tenant.
    Monday, January 01, 2018 5:57 AM
  • Does Microsoft crawl any type of file or do they do it based on the name of the mfile? Could I simply rename the file to something in descript to avoid this?  Let me rephrase this comment.

4. What triggers a crawl? 

5. Is there someplace where I can adjust Microsoft's access?

6. Did I give Microsoft permission somewhere to access my files?

7. I didn't understand your comment here, could you elaborate on the following:

"You can use a folder using search in ODFB, like"

Searching for the folder is best for me because the folder result comes back and I can just click it and see all the files in the folder. Does my last comment clear things up?

8. Why would Microsoft "take" my files and not just make a copy of them? The work in these files took me months to create and recreating them will be a hassle.

• Edited by ResidentX10 Monday, January 01, 2018 6:38 AM
    Monday, January 01, 2018 5:59 AM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

Let's verify your issue:

Are these files missing in Office 365 OneDrive for Bussiness or OneDrive for Business client on Windows 10?

If you want to show files in OneDrive for Business client on a new Windows 10 computer, you need to click "Sync" to sync files to your computer.

4. In SharePoint Online, content is automatically crawled based on a defined crawl schedule. We are unable to control it manually.

5 and 6. What did you mean for "Microsoft's access"? Is it permissions on these files? You can control the permissions on these files via selecting the file and clicking "Manage access":

7. You can search using a folder name in Search in ODFB, like the image that I provided in my previous reply.

8. In general, after you upload files into OneDrive for Business library, these files will keep here until someone delete them. For your issue, I suggest you go to Recycle Bin to check if these files are here. And also check the Second-stage recycle bin.

Thanks,

Wendy

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, January 02, 2018 6:02 AM
  • Replies below:

Are these files missing in Office 365 OneDrive for Business or OneDrive for Business client on Windows 10?

OneDrive for Business Online not SPO. I originally created the files in Excel and saved them into the cloud.

What did you mean for "Microsoft's access"?

Since you crawl, my question was related to whether I had give permission somewhere to allow this but your saying they do it automatically, right? Also, can I password protect the files and will that stop Microsoft from seeing inside the files.

In general, after you upload files into OneDrive for Business library, these files will keep here until someone delete them. For your issue, I suggest you go to Recycle Binto check if these files are here. And also check the Second-stage recycle bin.

Already did all of this before I contacted you. No one has access to my files but me but the whole folder of files is gone now. I opened a ticket in the portal and they called a few hours ago but they are researching a solution.

P.S. Bold & Italics doesn't come through on the formatting

• Edited by ResidentX10 Tuesday, January 02, 2018 6:28 AM
    Tuesday, January 02, 2018 6:25 AM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

As you have opened a ticket from OneDrive support, I suggest you keep in touch with them to troubleshoot this issue and the professional will assist you with this issue.

If you get any update for this issue, please post it here, it will benefit with others in the community who meet this issue in the future.

Thanks,

Wendy

Wednesday, January 03, 2018 8:18 AM
  • They couldn't fix it. The staff on that end wasn't smart enough. I got a group in the Philippines. I'll re-open the ticket with a US tech later today. 
    Wednesday, January 03, 2018 10:48 AM