none
Stop cyclic protection of two DPM servers RRS feed

• Question

• I currently have 2 DPM servers deployed at our local office. I configured each DPM server to protect the other DPM server's databases and BMR/SS. If I understand correctly this is cyclic protection. We would like to set up a third DPM server at a remote location and break the cyclic protection we have configured locally, then reconfigure the third server to protect the first two servers. Does someone know where I can find steps to break the local cyclic protection? I've searched my favorite tools Bing and Google and I've found hundreds of articles on how to configure it, but nothing on how to break it.
    Wednesday, August 6, 2014 8:04 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You just need to stop protection and delete replica for the secondary protected data sources, then in the DPM console under agents, un-install the DPM agent for the other DPM server from the Agents tab.  So now they are two standalone DPM servers again. The third DPM server can then act as secondary for each of the other DPM Servers.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 12:30 AM
  • Hi Mike,

I appreciate the answer and this did work. The chain is now broken and things seem to be working, but I did find something weird today. I am backing up a SCCM 2012 R2 server using DPM Server #1. We decided to even the load and move it to DPM #2. In order to do this I removed the protection but retained the data just in case. I then uninstalled the agent for #1. Once removed, I installed the agent for #2. I was able to create protection groups for the local SQL install and for BMR/SS, but when I try to back up the D drive (applications and a few other necessary files) I receive a ID 31162 error (This server is already protected by another server #1). I'm a little confused on this one because if this was true I shouldn't have been able to backup the SQL db and BMR/SS if I understand DPM correctly. Any idea if there is an entry for the #1 server somewhere that is preventing this?

Thanks for your help,

Gairy

Thursday, August 7, 2014 2:53 PM
  • Hi,

Yes, you are bumping into a known DPM unsupported scenario.

Moving protected servers with DPM secondary servers

Moving protected servers between DPM servers that are under secondary protection isn’t supported. To illustrate this we have the following:

• Server1
    • Server2
    • DPM1 acting as primary DPM server
    • DPM2 acting as another primary DPM server
    • DPM3 acting as secondary server for DPM1 and DPM2

Where:

• Server1 is protected by DPM1
    • Server2 is protected by DPM2
    • DPM3 is a secondary server for DPM1 and DPM2 (and thus protects Server1 and Server2.

The following occurs:

• Scenario 1              

• DPM1 fails or is removed from the infrastructure.
      • You now want to protect Server1 with DPM2 (with DPM3 acting as the secondary server).
    • Scenario 2              

• DPM1 fails or is removed from the infrastructure.
      • You now want to protect Server1 with DPM3.

Both of these scenarios are unsupported. You can only select one of the following options:

• Option 1—Use the “Switch Protection” option on DPM3 for Server1, and leave DPM3 in this mode going forward. Note that in this scenario you can’t add secondary protection for Server1 on another DPM server when you’re using switched protection mode.
    • Option 2—Rebuild DPM1 with the same name and restore the DPM database. This allows DPM to resume primary protection.
    • Option 3—Move protection for Server1 to a new DPM server (DPM4) that DPM3 doesn’t know about.

Although - this is unsupported - we do have manual SQL cleanup script to help cleanup secondary protection, but you would need to open a support ticket so we can assist as it's not very user friendly.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Thursday, August 7, 2014 5:28 PM
  • Hi Mike,

Thank you for your immediate answers. Is there anything should reference to support so that they know what SQL script I'm needing?

Thursday, August 7, 2014 7:54 PM
  • Hi,

The DPM support engineers should be familiar with it, but in case not have them reference ID: 2507990

Thursday, August 7, 2014 8:19 PM
  • Thanks for your help Mike, I'm opening the case now.
    Friday, August 8, 2014 11:58 AM