none
Search image files for text in Sharepoint online RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got a customer with a large amount of scanned documents in different image formats. They would like them to be searchable in Sharepoint - preferably Sharepoint online. Is there an application that does this? Maybe some kind of OCR software is needed to convert the files before uploading? Does anyone have any experience of this kind of set up?

Thanks!

Monday, October 27, 2014 4:10 PM

Answers

All replies

• One of the first things to keep on mind for SharePoint Online is that you've no control over the allowable file extensions or the iFilters that are available to your search solutions.

It might be an idea to first see if the kit you have in place already can be adapted.  if you're working with someone like Kofax or Reedsoft, than they'll have SharePoint extensions to their products you can investigate.

If that option turns up a dud, then you'd look at a potential third party extension.

Can you advise how you're creating your scanned documents currently?

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Monday, October 27, 2014 4:58 PM
    Answerer
  • I was misinformed - all the documents are pdf:s. But as you say, Adobe iFilter is unavailable for Sharepoint Online, so I think we'll have to go for a third party application that allows OCR recognition when searching pdf files. I've found Aquaforest Searchlight, Abbyy, Adlibsoftware and Gscan to all have software for this compatible with Sharepoint Online. You don't happen to know anything about them?
    Thursday, October 30, 2014 4:02 PM
  • Can't say that I know any of them I'm afraid, I've only used ReedSoft and Kofax goodies for OCR and that was an age ago.

http://www.sharepointreviews.com might have some feedback or reviews on these or other OCR goodies for SharePoint Online but I wasn't able to locate any.

Steven Andrews
    SharePoint Business Analyst: LiveNation Entertainment
    Blog: baron72.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow @backpackerd00d
    My Wiki Articles: CodePlex Corner Series
    Please remember to mark your question as "answered" if this solves (or helps) your problem.

Thursday, October 30, 2014 5:56 PM
    Answerer
  • I'll check that site out. Thank you!
    Monday, November 3, 2014 8:41 AM