Why the hyperlinks pasted to another doc lose hyperlink style? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I use "Find" feature to find all hyperlinks in my document. 

Here is my way:

1. In "Find and Replace" box-->Click "Format"

2. Choose "Style"

3. Choose "Hyperlink"-->"OK"

4. find in main document

It can find all hyperlinks and has them in selection. However, if I copy and paste them to another document, all hyperlinks turn to plain texts.

I have another way to export all hyperlinks but I want to know why it happens with this method.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Regards, 

VC

Tuesday, March 21, 2017 4:14 AM

Answers

• Hi VC77,

I tested in both Word 2016 and Word 2013 and saw the same thing when I pasted the hyperlinks found by Find and Replace feature. I did much research on this but could not find any documentation directly stating this. However, based on my test, I am assuming that when we use Find feature, we are just searching for text with the particular format, but not an active link:

Besides, I noticed that most articles about finding all hyperlinks in a Word document suggest to use Alt + F9 to show Field Codes. And the article below also mentions that "In Word, a link's text and its destination URL have to be changed separately if you are using Find and Replace!":

http://scls.typepad.com/techbits/2011/06/finding-and-replacing-hyperlinks-in-word-with-alt-f9.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Therefore, in your scenario, it might be more convenient to copy and paste all hyperlinks with the following steps:

1. In the original document, press Alt + F9 to show field codes.
    2. Open the Find & Replace dialogue box, type "^19 HYPERLINK" in the Find What box, find in main document:

3. Close the Find & Replace dialogue box, press Ctrl + C to copy the selected hyperlinks, press Ctrl + V to paste in the other document.
    4. Press Alt + F9 again in the two documents to hide field codes.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:58 AM

All replies

• Anyone knows? 

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 5:08 AM
  • Hi VC77,

I tested in both Word 2016 and Word 2013 and saw the same thing when I pasted the hyperlinks found by Find and Replace feature. I did much research on this but could not find any documentation directly stating this. However, based on my test, I am assuming that when we use Find feature, we are just searching for text with the particular format, but not an active link:

Besides, I noticed that most articles about finding all hyperlinks in a Word document suggest to use Alt + F9 to show Field Codes. And the article below also mentions that "In Word, a link's text and its destination URL have to be changed separately if you are using Find and Replace!":

http://scls.typepad.com/techbits/2011/06/finding-and-replacing-hyperlinks-in-word-with-alt-f9.html

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Therefore, in your scenario, it might be more convenient to copy and paste all hyperlinks with the following steps:

1. In the original document, press Alt + F9 to show field codes.
    2. Open the Find & Replace dialogue box, type "^19 HYPERLINK" in the Find What box, find in main document:

3. Close the Find & Replace dialogue box, press Ctrl + C to copy the selected hyperlinks, press Ctrl + V to paste in the other document.
    4. Press Alt + F9 again in the two documents to hide field codes.

Hope the above information can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 8:58 AM
  • What are you planning to do with the hyperlinks in the target document? Some VBA code could probably help. For example, it would be possible to collect the hyperlink objects in an array, then create another document and make use of the data stored in the array. You will have to explain what you want to accomplish.

In the user interface, you can make use of the Office clipboard (to display it, click the dialog launcher button on the bottom right of the Clipboard group on the Home tab. With the Clipboard displayed, copy hyperlinks one by one to add them to the clipboard. If you have a large number of hyperlinked text ranges, this approach may not be practical, of course.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP

Wednesday, March 22, 2017 9:21 AM