Intermittant Power Shutdowns RRS feed

• Question

• I had XP Home Pro then upgraded to W7.  I started having lots of reliability issues as well as driver problems.  I found a bad Motherboard and replaced it. I also replaced 2 1GB cards with 2 2GB cards and replaced the hard drive as well.  the ribbon cables are also new.  Through all of that I still have the randon power shut down problem.  It happens when running programs or when absolutely no user programs are running.  It restarts normally.  I may reinstall the HD with W7 on it to see if anything changes -

Any iodeas?  I on on XP now...

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Saturday, April 30, 2011 6:14 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Announcements)
    Saturday, April 30, 2011 12:00 AM

Answers

• Hi,

You may try to boot the computer in Safe Mode to see whether the issue still happen.

Also, Check the Startup and Recovery setting in the System Properties to see if the Automatically restart option is enabled? If so, I think you was encountering the BSOD. If the option is  not enabled, based on my experience, this may be a hardware issue. It is most likely caused by the power supply.

If you encounter a BSOD. Since Windows system uses separated user mode and kernel mode memory space, stop errors are always caused by kernel portion components, such as a third-party device drivers, backup software or anti-virus services (buggy services).

The system goes to a BSOD because there is some exceptions happened in the kernel (either the device driver errors or the service errors), and Windows implements this mechanism: When it detects some errors occur in the kernel, it will kill the box in case some more severe damage happens. Then we get a blue screen or the system reboots (it depends on what the system settings are).

To troubleshoot this kind of kernel crash issue, we need to debug the crashed system dump. Unfortunately, debugging is beyond what we can do in the forum. A suggestion would be to contact Microsoft Customer Service and Support (CSS) via telephone so that a dedicated Support Professional can assist with your request. Please be advised that contacting phone support will be a charged call.

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request please take a look at the web site listed below:

Microsoft - Help and Support
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US please see Microsoft Worldwide Home for regional support phone numbers.
    http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/

Meantime, customer can refer the following KB for troubleshoot.

Windows Kernel event ID 41 error in Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 R2: “The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first”
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504/en-us

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by Juke Chou Thursday, May 26, 2011 8:03 AM
    Tuesday, May 3, 2011 9:29 AM