HyperV - SRIOV support RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to bring up a MontaVista linux guest on HyperV. Although I have enabled SRIOV both on the switch and on the guest "Hardware Acceleration" settings, I dont see any virtual function assigned. I verified the HyperV settings by using a ubuntu 16.04 LTS where I can see a VF being assigned (I use the Powershell cmdlet: Get-VMSwitch -name <name> | Format-List *). The NIC is an Intel X710.

I see that Ubuntu is officially supported with SRIOV. Any inputs on the drivers that require update for SRIOV support?

Thanks in advance for any inputs

• Edited by SeePatPlay Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:21 AM Minor Modification
    Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:20 AM

All replies

• Hi,

As per the list it doesn't seem that MontaVista is a supported Linux distribution, you'll find the supported guest operating systems for Hyper-V over here: Supported Linux and FreeBSD virtual machines for Hyper-V on Windows

In the list below we can see that Ubuntu is a supported Linux distribution and also has support for SR-IOV: Supported Ubuntu virtual machines on Hyper-V

The Linux Integration Services (LIS) contains a set of drivers that enable synthetic device support in supported Linux virtual machines under Hyper-V.

The LIS can be downloaded from here: Linux Integration Services v4.3 for Hyper-V and Azure

"New with Linux Integration Services 4.3 and newer:

* SRIOV (Accelerated Networking) support for Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, and Oracle Linux with the Red Hat Compatible Kernel versions 6.7-6.10 (64-bit only) New with Linux Integration Services 4.3.4 and newer: * 64-bit and 32-bit RPMs have been separated into different tar files and ISOs. Please refer to the release notes for more information. LIS is applicable to Red Hat Enterprise Linux, CentOS, and the Oracle Linux Red Hat Compatible Kernel 5.2-5.11, 6.0-6.10, and 7.0-7.7"

Best regards,
    Leon

Blog: https://thesystemcenterblog.com LinkedIn:

Tuesday, December 3, 2019 9:54 AM
  • Thanks for the input

Update: The required Virtual Function changes which comprises of changes to VMbus, Netvsc etc are present in the kernel 4.19.44 and I didnt need to upgrade any of them.

The issue was in the settings of the VM. Port mirroring and Allow Address Spoofing was enabled which prevented a virtual function from being assigned to the VM. After disabling these features I see a VF being assigned and I am able to send traffic.

Hope this helps anyone facing a similar issue

Friday, December 6, 2019 4:58 AM