Hang up on start up? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently took the nosedive and installed sp3 on my main computer, restoration went smoothly and all until it finished.  It gave me the finished dialogue and asked if i would like to reboot now or later, i said later and moments later my computer automatically restarted without my approval.  My computer began to startup again like normal until it got to the splash screen of the xp logo.  For some reason the logo was quarter of its normal size and soon after, it went to a completly black screen where it would hang with my mouse sitting hourglass style.  I have tried all startup options (safemodes, last working setup, and continue normally) with the same exact result, any ideas on what to do?

here is my current system setup:
    ECS GeForce6100SM-M motherboard
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 3600+ Brisbane 1.9GHz
    Western Digital Caviar SE WD400JD 40GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
    CORSAIR ValueSelect 1GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667
    EVGA 256-P2-N615-TX GeForce 7600GT 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card
    Creative Sound Blaster SB0570 Audigy SE 7.1 Channels PCI Interface Sound Card
    EDIMAX EW-7128G PCI Wireless Card
    Sony NEC Optiarc Black IDE DVD-ROM Drive
    Antec earthwatts EA380 ATX12V v2.0 380W Power Supply

Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:08 PM

Answers

•  dullestbulb wrote:

After some fiddeling around I finally got it to boot up, kinda.  I have no clue what I did but after hours of tinkering and letting it boot up for 5 hours while I was at work, it finally made it to my desktop.  It is EXCRUCIATING on how slow the system runs, it takes an hour just to complete simple tasks like pulling up task manager or opening my documents.  After a few hours of waiting and a few clicks of the mouse I got to the add/remove programs menu to find out that I didn't have administrative rights to uninstall there were also several errors along with the dialogue.  At the sight of this my temper blew and I haven't touched my computer since.  Any further suggestions on what to do?

Hello All,

We really want to find out why your machine hangs after installing XP SP3. But to proceed further on the investigation we would need a memory dump of the machine. To create a memory dump you would need another machine and a NULL modem (serial) or a USB cable.

We request you to please help us in debugging this problem. If any of you are willing please give us your email address and we will send out the detailed instructions by email.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

Saravana

Friday, December 28, 2007 12:43 PM

All replies

• I have a similar problem - after I install SP3, and reboot. I get the screen where it says "Please Wait", and the yellow dots appear as a progress bar. After about 20 dots appear, the dots stop appearing, and the system hangs. I have waited overnight, but the system never gets past this stage.

I can reboot into Safe mode, and Safe Mode indicates that SP3 was installed, but I cannot boot into "Normal" mode. I am able to uninstall SP3 from the Safe mode control panel, and things are back to normal.

This happens with both the SP3 Release Candidate 1 on MSDN, and the public release candidate.

Machine is a Dell 4550, Intel Pentium 4, with an NVidia MX4 graphics card.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 12:14 AM
  • I have now found a way to get to all my old files in a very prehistoric manner through a different OS and can also get to the command prompt, so are there any commands i can use to fully uninstall sp3?
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 2:17 AM
  • Same problem here - the public release SP installed, but got hung up on the "please wait" screen when rebooting.  After several hours, I power-cycled the laptop and got the hung boot process (a black screen after the XP logo finishes loading).  I can boot into Safe Mode (with & without networking) just fine, and I've been able to boot into the OS *ONCE* after  booting into Safe Mode.  Nothing pops out at me in the event logs.

I've disconnected my USB floppy and tried booting w/out my USB KVM attached - no joy in either case.

I've noticed that when the system hangs, the signal to monitor stays alive (that is, the monitor never goes into sleep mode).

HP Pavilion laptop (AMD Turion64 w/ an ATI Mobility Radeon Xpress 200.

Thursday, December 20, 2007 5:46 PM
  •  

For me it worked fine and happened as follows:

install sp

reboot

i got a small xp logo with please wait (like you do when firstbooting a new xp install) - this took a long time

It worked and then took ages loading the login screen and logging me in - it did that configuring user settings thing

Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:31 PM
  • Right, but the problem I saw is that the "please wait" screen NEVER finished - I let the system sit for 8+ hours.  I had no choice but to power-cycle at that point and there my problems started.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 7:38 PM
  • Yea mine hangs on the screen just after the xp logo, just a black screen with my mouse in the middle.  If i try any kind of safemode it does the same thing however with the usual writing on the top and bottom.  I just want to uninstall and be able to use my computer, because right now its totally crippled.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 8:05 PM
  • SP3 seemed to load real easy till it did the restart..

Mine hangs up at the page where it's asking me if I want to start in safemode,safemode with networking etc...

It will not start in safe mode or last known good configuration.. now I'm stuck on a backup HD w2k...

I just did buy and install XPsp2 and now this happens...d@mn

Thursday, December 20, 2007 9:48 PM
  • Very simular problem here also. I installed SP3 on one of my PCs with XP MCE and another with XP Pro. the XP Pro went though just fine and I'm typing on it right now... the XP MCE installed fine but after the install and reboot it goes to the XP Splash screen then resets and repeats the process...

Tried loading other modes (safe, last known good config) but no luck...

hopefully someone can find a fix for this cuz I don't realy feel like formatting ...

thanks and good luck to us
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:08 PM
  • For those who can't get into safe mode, you might have better luck if you have NO usb devices or networking attached.    Once I was in safe mode, I was (very slowly) able to roll back to SP2.
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:32 PM
  • thnx

Will give it a shot...

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:35 PM
  • would no usb devises also mean keyboard and mouse... I don't have any ps2 mice and keyboards handy...
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:44 PM
  • Tried disconecting usb & internet... still a no go..

No safe mode, no last know confg...

Thursday, December 20, 2007 10:46 PM
  • Yuck. 

I ended up rolling back to SP2 myself (I'm waiting to hear about an official fix).    If you can't get into safe mode, you can always roll back w/ the Recovery Console

http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Remove-Windows-XP-Service-Pack-2.html#rc
    Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:31 PM
  •  I got it to boot using the install disk.

I was gonna try to do a repair ,got to the option screen ,hit boot normaly and it did.

It showed sp3 but things did'nt seem to be running right so I uninstall the sevice pack and now I'm back to sp2 and it's booting fine now..

Thursday, December 20, 2007 11:56 PM
  • After some fiddeling around I finally got it to boot up, kinda.  I have no clue what I did but after hours of tinkering and letting it boot up for 5 hours while I was at work, it finally made it to my desktop.  It is EXCRUCIATING on how slow the system runs, it takes an hour just to complete simple tasks like pulling up task manager or opening my documents.  After a few hours of waiting and a few clicks of the mouse I got to the add/remove programs menu to find out that I didn't have administrative rights to uninstall there were also several errors along with the dialogue.  At the sight of this my temper blew and I haven't touched my computer since.  Any further suggestions on what to do?

Friday, December 21, 2007 10:07 PM
  • Could you send accross your svcpack.log available in the windows directory to mailto-jayaramk@microsoft.com ?

Drop the mailto- before sending the mail .
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 4:56 AM
  • Hi,

I've had the exact same problem, i almost ended up swaping for my backup drive, i ended up having to boot  VGA mode every time !

Is it a problem with all vga drivers or just Nvidia ! ?

I tried rolling back my driver and still no joy, also tried reinstalling and unistalling the video apapter all had the same result.

my spec

Asus A8n32-Sli Deluxe mobo
    Nvidia Gforce7300 Le
    AMD Opteron(Eygpyt) 3700 + @ 2.21Ghz
    2 gb ram

Also system was running slower. i have uninstalled sp3 and all is fine.

any idea's

Saturday, December 22, 2007 8:47 AM
  • Did you notice any process hogging up CPU cycles in the task manager. Can you send us the output  'tasklist /v' (Start->Run->Cmd.exe and then tasklist /v).

Which flavour of XP are you using? Is this an MCE machine?

-Saravana

Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:34 AM
  •  

seems that AV scanners break the service pack boot. Particuarly symantec/norton.
    Saturday, December 22, 2007 11:37 AM
  • i got mine to work, it boots nicely, and i have alot of old stuff on my comp. i tried it on my dads and his was slow to start and his is newer. wonder if everyone who is having issues has an newer comp, mine is self built with a genuine version of xp pro. now, on my newer comp with xp home, i am having some major lag and that comp is much newer, why is that? and i havent tried it on my laptop with media cetner edition yet.
    Sunday, December 23, 2007 2:54 AM
  • I posted recently about the same problem. The progress bar on reboot just hangs. I was fortunately able to boot into XP and all seems to run well. Just would like to know that all was installed OK. There should be a log file of the installl, but I cannot find it.

Monday, December 24, 2007 7:46 PM
  • I wish I could say I had the same luck, however I cannot.  After days of constant reboots, I have decided to give up on the issue and am currently using good ol' ubuntu until I find my xp cd's.  I managed to get a hold of the log file however it is on my windows disc of which I cannot read right now, so once all is up and going I will upload it right away.  As for the problem, I have no clue on what might have caused the mishap, nor was I able to look it up in the log due to the systems extreme instability.  As for future testing of sp3, I think I am done, I am only 17 years of age and I feel that this issue alone has brought one to many gray hairs.
    Tuesday, December 25, 2007 7:04 AM
  •  schapin wrote:
    Yuck. 

I ended up rolling back to SP2 myself (I'm waiting to hear about an official fix).    If you can't get into safe mode, you can always roll back w/ the Recovery Console

http://www.webtechgeek.com/How-to-Remove-Windows-XP-Service-Pack-2.html#rc

Following that link helped. Finally got my computer to boot. However my computer says it's still has SP3 on it. Can anyone explain this?

Tuesday, December 25, 2007 11:08 AM
  •  dullestbulb wrote:

After some fiddeling around I finally got it to boot up, kinda.  I have no clue what I did but after hours of tinkering and letting it boot up for 5 hours while I was at work, it finally made it to my desktop.  It is EXCRUCIATING on how slow the system runs, it takes an hour just to complete simple tasks like pulling up task manager or opening my documents.  After a few hours of waiting and a few clicks of the mouse I got to the add/remove programs menu to find out that I didn't have administrative rights to uninstall there were also several errors along with the dialogue.  At the sight of this my temper blew and I haven't touched my computer since.  Any further suggestions on what to do?

Hello All,

We really want to find out why your machine hangs after installing XP SP3. But to proceed further on the investigation we would need a memory dump of the machine. To create a memory dump you would need another machine and a NULL modem (serial) or a USB cable.

We request you to please help us in debugging this problem. If any of you are willing please give us your email address and we will send out the detailed instructions by email.

Thanks, your help is much appreciated.

Saravana

Friday, December 28, 2007 12:43 PM
  • You are having a conflict with 3rd party anti-spam programs. I have Verizon on my machine, and after 2 attemps to load SP3 and reboot with failure to startup in Windows, I restored it and after that the anti-spam program has been deleated from my system.

Friday, December 28, 2007 11:17 PM
  • hi jdgoodwrench,

Are you getting a hang (a software hang) on the system during bootup due to Verizon?

Or are you getting into a scenario of automatic reboots (without user intervention)?

Are you using debugging startup for booting the system>

Just trying to understand your scenario better

Shashank

Saturday, December 29, 2007 6:31 AM
  • Computer won't boot to windows. It defaults to screen with options of restarting in safe mode, last good setup, etc. I removed verizon and reloaded SP3, and still would not boot up to windows. It would remove the anti-spy software in Verizon anti-virus program, after trying to run SP3 and then restoring to prior setup. I quit messing with this ***. Don't have time to troubleshoot there software that they get paid to write. 

Saturday, December 29, 2007 1:45 PM
  • I finally got around to reformating and all is running well now.  I did manage to get a hold of the svcpack.log file, which I haven't really looked through yet.  So anyone out there wanting a copy just email me at mvp@wideopenwest.com, and I'll proudly send it away.
    Sunday, December 30, 2007 6:42 AM
  • Got the exact same problem: installed SP3 RC1, rebooted, the XP logo screen (reduced size) came up saying "Please wait" and nothing else is happening... It's only a test system, so it doesn't really matter now, but it seems to me that this is an issue that should be resolved before the final version of the SP is released. System configuration: fresh install of XP Professional SP2 on a Dell Precision T3400, with a number of MUI packs and McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.5i installed.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:06 PM
  • Hi Michiel,

We have been struggling to get to the bottom of this issue. L

We have tried to reproduce it internally (on a Microsoft test machine) but have not been able to. Something that this issue doesn’t like about MS owned machines J

Would you be in a position to capture a complete memory dump for your test machine. It would require you to setup another machine that would connect to the test machine over a COM connection and act like a debugger. We can send you more detailed steps, if you would be in a position to help us.

Do let us know your email id and we can talk in detail.

Thanks

Shashank 

Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:13 PM
  • I won't mind giving it a try. My e-mail address is (deleted).
    Tuesday, January 8, 2008 2:17 PM
  •  dullestbulb wrote:
    Yea mine hangs on the screen just after the xp logo, just a black screen with my mouse in the middle.  If i try any kind of safemode it does the same thing however with the usual writing on the top and bottom.  I just want to uninstall and be able to use my computer, because right now its totally crippled.

I have the exact same "black screen with large white mouse" issue as dullestbulb.  Can someone advise me in very basic "laymans" terms how to get my computer back up and running given its current situation?  I did not intentionally load sp3, so I don't know if its the true cause, but a friend is suggesting that it might have auto-downloaded and might be.  I do not have options in safe mode, the recovery console works but I don't know what to do with it to make it do anything.

Someone have mercy on me!!!

PS. I truely know little when it comes to working on computers. (as if it didn't show)

5yr old Dell Dimensions p4 2400

Intel Celeron

Friday, May 16, 2008 4:48 PM
  • It looks like this is still occurring....almost a YEAR later!

I just downloaded Win XP SP3 and afterwards it prompted me to restart system for changes to take affect.  During reboot the XP logo screen appeared (in reduced size) and underneath it says "Please wait..."   Well, I have been waiting for 4 hours now.

I have a Dell Dimension XPS system and removed my Virus Scan software from my system prior to installation of SP3.  I'm calling Microsoft Support in the morning but I am pretty surprised this issue with SP3 was reported long ago but hasn't been fixed by Microsoft....nor can I find anything from Microsoft on steps to resolve problem. 

Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:03 AM
  • I've had this problem for almost 12 months. I've found a work around but It's a bit of a pain. My computer always gets into this problem after Microsoft upgrades my computer. This is what I do.

1.    Use the power button to power off the hung computer.

2.    Startup in safe mode.

3.    Go to run and input "msconfig". This will bring up a screen to select options. Not going to make any permanent changes!

4.    Select "services" and disable all. Then select "startup" and again disable all. Click OK and do a reboot to come up normal

5.    After reboot go through items 3 and 4 and turn everything on for services and startup. Again system will reboot. Everything is just fine until my next upgrade.

I have tried doing just a part of the items without success. It seems there is something happening when you turn something off and reboot then turn it back on again. I can't pin down what functing is causing the problem.

Friday, January 30, 2009 9:42 PM
  • hi saravana,

This venkatesh i am having Intel P4 last week i taken cpu from house to room in auto, i went there and fix all wire and monitor, when switch on the computer it get boot and desktop appears after 5 min monitor gets yellow, red blue colors marks and hung up, please tell me wat is the problem in my system after i turn off power and switch on again same after 5 min,

please help me

Any body

Email ID venkycrgn@gmail.com
    Monday, August 3, 2009 11:10 AM
  • Saravana

Iam having this problem after cloning the hard drive to a larger one. I have reinstalled XP w sp1 in the repair mode numerous times and I still cannot get past the loading windows xp screen which goes black with a large arrow cursor in the middle. From there I can only move the cursor around the black screen. ALT-CTL-DELETE does not work. Nothing works. If I boot into safe mode I get the same black screen with safe mode written on the sides and the same cursor. I am not sure how I could give you a memory dump but I would be happy to do so.

Other info: I have another hard drive in the same system with a fresh installation of XP sp1 that works just fine but with none of the twenty years of tax preparation software installed that would take me a month or more to reinstall and some would reinstall at all. My only way to keep these available is to upgrade into them so I won't be moving to Windows 7 any time soon or until you figure out an upgrade path, but that is a totally different problem.

This machine could be added to my network fairly easily.

My email is wbsinc3@qwestoffice.net

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:22 PM
  • Shashank

Please see reply I sent to Saravana above for my details and would like to know if you have found a solution. The Knowledge Base is not available today or I would have tried there first.

Email: wbsinc3@qwestoffice.net

Tuesday, August 17, 2010 11:35 PM