MS Windows 2008 - cannot get reply to PING from XP device RRS feed

• Question

• Seems a very basic problem.  I have set up a very simple network with fixed IP addresses (10.10.1.xxx etcetera) between my new Windows 2008 Server and existing workstation PC.   I can PING form the XP Workstaion to the Server and get a reply.   When I PING from the Windows 2008 Server to the XP workstation I do not get a reply.

I have a Linksys router sitting between the two machines

One complication may be that the XP workstation is on two Networks, the second one being out to the Internet via a router etcetera.  The TCPIP addressing on this XP workstation 2nd network uses dynamic addreses, and range 192.168.1.XXX

Tuesday, February 8, 2011 3:47 PM

Answers

• Hi Rob

hi dude could be a routing issue, NAT issue or a windows firewall issue.. (the last one is a stretch i know) make sure the default gateway on the server is correct and that you can ping the default gateway.. make sure NAT allows packets to move from the 192.168.1.xxx network and the 10.10.1.xxx network on your linksys router.. and if there are any access-lists configured on your linksys router make sure they allow packets to and from bothe networks. Can you post ipconfigs of both machines and a brief description of the configurations on the linksys router...

hope this helps

tech-nique
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

I agree that incorrect setting on linksys router may cause this issue.

Try connecting both computers directly without router and disabling the second NIC on XP clients , will this issue persist?

Some troubleshooting methods could be found form the link below:

TCP/IP Troubleshooting

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958870.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:45 AM

All replies

• Hi Rob

hi dude could be a routing issue, NAT issue or a windows firewall issue.. (the last one is a stretch i know) make sure the default gateway on the server is correct and that you can ping the default gateway.. make sure NAT allows packets to move from the 192.168.1.xxx network and the 10.10.1.xxx network on your linksys router.. and if there are any access-lists configured on your linksys router make sure they allow packets to and from bothe networks. Can you post ipconfigs of both machines and a brief description of the configurations on the linksys router...

hope this helps

tech-nique
    Tuesday, February 8, 2011 10:04 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for posting here.

I agree that incorrect setting on linksys router may cause this issue.

Try connecting both computers directly without router and disabling the second NIC on XP clients , will this issue persist?

Some troubleshooting methods could be found form the link below:

TCP/IP Troubleshooting

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc958870.aspx

Thanks.

Tiger Li

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Wednesday, February 9, 2011 6:45 AM