skype for business 2015 call flow RRS feed

• Question

• I am looking for clarification.  I downloaded the most recent enterprise voice poster from technet.  It shows signilling and media going from Skype user at the top going through the front end server then to the mediation.  It was my understanding that media did not go through the front end when you had a separate mediation server.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 4:30 AM

All replies

• Hi Brian,

You're correct, media goes direct to the Mediation Server if you have separate server(s).

I think the diagram is a little misleading as it assumes the mediation pool is on the Front Ends.

Tuesday, May 15, 2018 8:30 AM
  • Thank you.
    Tuesday, May 15, 2018 12:59 PM
  • Hi Brian,

I do not think so, regardless of whether the mediation server is collocated on the front-end server,all the media will going through the FE server then to the medation server,beacause Mediation Server provides signaling and media translation between Lync and a media gateway.Translating media streams between Lync Server and the gateway peer of the Mediation Server like the following screenshot(Lync 2013 and SFB server is same for the mediation server ,so you could refer to it).

If the media flow  directly to the mediation server  without FE Sserver,SRTP flow cannot convert to  RTP flow.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 7:47 AM
  • Hi Leon,

I have to disagree.

The SIP flow will always be Front End Server to Mediation Server; however, the media path will be established direct between the client and the Mediation Server.  Of course when media bypass is enabled the flow will be direct between the gateway and the client.

Thanks,

Steve

Wednesday, May 16, 2018 8:05 AM
  • Hi ,

Do you have some updates? If the reply help to you ,please mark the reply as answer.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, May 23, 2018 2:23 AM