Software Disc Mirror: Resyncing after unexpected shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

computer has Windows 7 x64 installed and 3 volumes on 2x2 physical dynamic discs (two and two discs are in a software mirror set up by the Disk Management MMC snap-in). After a unexpected shutdown (for example after BSOD), the mirrors automaticaly starts resyncing process. Unfortunatelly, the resyncing is started on both volumes on the same disc, instead of resyncing it one by one. As a result, the resyncing takes about 4 times longer than resyncing them one by one (in this case, about 10 hours instead of 3; I guess because of increase amount of disc seeking).

Is there a way how to tell Windows to start resyncing one by one (ie. only one resync operation per physical disc)? If not, please consider it as a feature request for consideration in the future.

Is there a way to cancel an active resyncing operation, so the particular mirror rollback to a failed state, to be able to start the resyncing later, other than breaking the mirror (not sure which disc contains current snapshot)?

Thank you,

Martin

---

Volume distributions on discs:
    Disc A1/A2: Volume V1, V2
    Disc B1/B2: Volume V3

Thursday, October 21, 2010 12:45 PM

Answers

• Hello,

I have researched on your question and it turns out that there is no way to control how Windows resyncs the disks.

Sumesh P - Microsoft Online Community Support
    • Proposed as answer by Sumesh P Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by MCCZ Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:16 PM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:56 AM

All replies

• Hello,

I have researched on your question and it turns out that there is no way to control how Windows resyncs the disks.

• Proposed as answer by Sumesh P Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by MCCZ Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:16 PM
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 10:56 AM
  • Hi Sumesh,

thank you for your research. Would you please route the suggestions to the appropriate product/feature team?

Thank you,

Martin

Monday, November 1, 2010 6:40 AM
  • Sure. I will pass on the feedback to the product team.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010 5:50 PM
  • Thank you.
    Tuesday, November 2, 2010 8:17 PM