none
Performance issues, Pagefile, SQL Server memory RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

first of all - I am quite new to DPM and now I started working for a company which has a bunch of DPM servers.
    I 'm not new to backup - have been working with IBM TSM and Symantec BE for some years

While getting into this environment I realized some performance issues.
    Details of the server:
    2x Xeon E5530 Quad, 2.40 GHZ
    24GB RAM
    W2K8R2SP1
    4 GBit/s dedicated fibre attached Storage
    4 Gbit/s dedicated VTL
    Protected servers: 21

Some of the performance issues I realized are very slow responsiveness of the server itself / MMC and slow D2D2T Tape Backups (it should be faster even with a lot of small files) and after rebooting system isn unresponsive for abot 45-60 min.

So I started ananylzing with my low to medium DPM skills, following poins I found out and I got some questions:

1. Page file settings are not modified and the DPM server
    I have read the page file requirements (0.2 percent of the combined size of all recovery point volumes, in addition to the recommended size (generally, 1.5 times the amount of RAM on the computer).
    Could this setting improve the performance of the above mentionend issues?
    How can I get the combined size of all recovery point volumes the easiest way?

2. SQL Server memory limit
    Sometimes one can see that the SQLserver (local on DPM server) consumes all available memory. Does it make sense on the DPM to limit the max memory of the local "special" SQLServer or could this have a negative influence on the DPM server?
    (unfortunately sometimes memory is consumed and you don't see by whom...)

I am sorry that my first post is that long.

Some hints would be nice.

regards

/bkpfast

Monday, October 17, 2011 10:11 AM

All replies

• Hi,

situation i getting worse...
    Two of our DPM servers have to be rebooted nearly every 2 days because there is no memory left and other services like hardware monitoring agents are not working anymore when there is no RAM left.

I limited SQL server to use max 12GB but it did not get better.
    i did not change the pagefile setting because looking at the taskmager "commit" says 16/47.

After reboot memory consumption is about 5-6 GB but after 2-3 days only 30MB of 24GB is available - only 400MB are in cache.

Not very nice - it is nearly impossible to work with the system.

Help would be nice.

regards

/bkpfast

Friday, October 21, 2011 11:59 AM