none
DPM Suspect Tapes Status with after Barcode reader issue RRS feed

• Question

• We are using dpm with a Overland arcvault autoloader 12 using lto-4 tapes with bar code reader.

We have been using this successfully in dpm 2010 (fully patched) and windows server 2008 R2 Standard (fully patched) without any issues for some time now.  Last week dpm stopped recognizing the bar code reader as available... earlier this week that issue was addressed, this has however created another issue. 

All the tapes that had a backup job run to for various protection groups while the barcorde reader was not working are now being labelled as suspect tapes after the barcode reader issue was addressed and a quick inventory run. 

I have gone through the forums and searched online and have not found any exact match to our issues.  From what I have read I'm thinking the OMID may not be correlated to the barcode in the DPM database or listed as two individual records/tapes, I'm thinking DPM is confused by the status of the tapes and has as a result labelled these tapes as suspect. 

I have found reference to the DPM tape util as well as a command string that could be run to address similar issues but I do not see any reference that addresses our issue specifically.  Primarily that we need to keep the data on the tapes intact and would ieally like to continue to utilize them until they are full.

Best Regards

• Moved by MarcReynolds Thursday, October 27, 2011 5:38 PM (From:Data Protection Manager)
    Thursday, October 27, 2011 4:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I suspect you may be on track with the thought that DPM know about your tapes as a combination of OMID+Barcode. When the tape was written to and the barcode reader was not functioning, DPM wrote an OMID and recorded in the SQL DB it's OMID+barcode=none.   Now after fixing the barcode reader, DPM sees that OMID and instead of barcode=none, it now has a barcode. So it marks the tape a suspect since OMID matches.

I'm not certain that just removing the suspect flag will be enought to resolve this, as I believe that after another detailed inventory it may be flagged as suspect again, but try this.

See Managing Suspect Tapes http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808923.aspx

The same command is still valid in DPM 2010, the only difference being the SQL DB name is now MSDPM2010.

osql -E -S localhost\MSDPM2010 -d DPMDB -Q "UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect = 0"

If that does not work, then you will need to wait for the tape to expire, then DPM should be able to overwrite it.  If you don't want to wait for it to expire, you can use the forcefree-tape.ps1 powershell script found here to expire all recovery points.

http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2007/09/04/cli-script-force-mark-tape-as-free.aspx

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 4:48 AM

All replies

• Hi,

I suspect you may be on track with the thought that DPM know about your tapes as a combination of OMID+Barcode. When the tape was written to and the barcode reader was not functioning, DPM wrote an OMID and recorded in the SQL DB it's OMID+barcode=none.   Now after fixing the barcode reader, DPM sees that OMID and instead of barcode=none, it now has a barcode. So it marks the tape a suspect since OMID matches.

I'm not certain that just removing the suspect flag will be enought to resolve this, as I believe that after another detailed inventory it may be flagged as suspect again, but try this.

See Managing Suspect Tapes http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb808923.aspx

The same command is still valid in DPM 2010, the only difference being the SQL DB name is now MSDPM2010.

osql -E -S localhost\MSDPM2010 -d DPMDB -Q "UPDATE tbl_MM_ArchiveMedia SET IsSuspect = 0"

If that does not work, then you will need to wait for the tape to expire, then DPM should be able to overwrite it.  If you don't want to wait for it to expire, you can use the forcefree-tape.ps1 powershell script found here to expire all recovery points.

http://blogs.technet.com/dpm/archive/2007/09/04/cli-script-force-mark-tape-as-free.aspx

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, October 28, 2011 4:48 AM
  • housekeeping - closing old post.  Open a new post if you still have a need.

Thursday, November 24, 2011 4:09 PM