keep test vm in hyper-v replica RRS feed

• Question

• hi,

is there a way to keep a test vm when using Hyper-V replica?

i'll give an example to explain what i mean:

let's say i want to upgrade the software that is running on a replicated virtual machine, 

i'm not sure if the upgrade will succeed  so create a test virtual machine in the replica site using Hyper-V replication.

let's say the upgrade was successful and i would like to keep the test virtual machine and use it as my production VM.

is that possible ?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 12:03 PM

Answers

• No, that is not possible.

What is possible is to perform an export of the VM you want to upgrade, stand it up in a lab, and perform the upgrade there.  If successful, substitute the production machine for the tested machine.

Or, create a checkpoint on the machine and test the upgrade.  If the upgrade fails, revert to the checkpoint.  If the upgrade is successful, delete the checkpoint.

. : | : . : | : . tim

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, September 5, 2016 7:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:54 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:28 PM

All replies

• No, that is not possible.

What is possible is to perform an export of the VM you want to upgrade, stand it up in a lab, and perform the upgrade there.  If successful, substitute the production machine for the tested machine.

Or, create a checkpoint on the machine and test the upgrade.  If the upgrade fails, revert to the checkpoint.  If the upgrade is successful, delete the checkpoint.

• Proposed as answer by Leo Han Monday, September 5, 2016 7:25 AM
    • Marked as answer by Leo Han Wednesday, September 7, 2016 6:54 AM
    Thursday, August 25, 2016 2:28 PM
  • i forgot to mention that i need both the old version and new version VM to be running side by side for the upgrade. ( with a temporary IP obliviously) 

i would like to perform the upgrade with minimal downtime for the application, i would like to accomplish that by :

1. running both VMs side by side while( one with a temp IP)

2. upgrade the VM with the temp IP

3. running a sync of all the data the was inserted into the production VM while the upgrade was running ( this can be done with my applicaion)

4. perform a quick switch over between the VMs.

is this can be done using export? do you know of any other way i can accomplish that ?

Thursday, August 25, 2016 4:25 PM
  • If anything is dependent up computer name, you will have some issues running them side by side, even with a temp IP.

Without knowing the application it is pretty difficult.  The only way Microsoft supports cloning machines is to run them through sysprep.  So you can't just take a copy of one machine and run it along side another machine if all you did was change the name and IP.  You will have SID issues - almost guaranteed.

The way around that is to sysprep the first machine.  But not all applications can survive a sysprep.  Need to talk to the application vendor to see if they support running sysprep on a machine that has their application installed.

If they do, then you can take a copy of the virtual hard disk and create a new VM.  Sysprep it and reconfigure it.  Then do your stuff to synchronize the data.  When you want to switch, switch.

Thursday, August 25, 2016 9:59 PM
  • Hi Gilt111,

Does the application have the function to sync data between two servers?

According to your description, why not creating two VMs to satisfy your needs?

Where is the application data stored? Could it be stored on shared folder?

Best Regards,

Leo

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 29, 2016 8:34 AM
  • It looks like you have two posts for the same issue - this one and https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsserver/en-US/5ed3b6ad-b480-47c7-9a31-8bf5e4662571/auto-failover-of-virtual-machine-using-storage-spaces?forum=WinServerPreview  Please keep only a single post open on one issue.

Monday, August 29, 2016 1:30 PM