MacOS user has severe issue with Asian fonts RRS feed

• Question

• For some reason sometimes when crafting emails, Word docs or adding calendar events the fonts default to Asian fonts and a very small font size.

The top screenshot is what my Format > Font looks like in Outlook and the bottom one is from the user having issues:

Thursday, February 13, 2020 1:43 PM

All replies

• The top screenshot shows the effect of a font theme where only the Latin font is set. The second screenshot shows the effect of a font theme with setting for Latin and East Asian fonts. If you were to add a font theme entry for Complex Scripts, you would see a third font selection appear in the Font dialog. There's nothing abnormal about either of the screen shots.

Office normally invokes Asian fonts only when the text language is marked as an Asian language. However, in meeting invitations received from Outlook, I have seen message bodies in Asian fonts from non-Asian companies, so a recent bug could be at work here.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 2:52 PM
  • The top screenshot shows the effect of a font theme where only the Latin font is set. The second screenshot shows the effect of a font theme with setting for Latin and East Asian fonts. If you were to add a font theme entry for Complex Scripts, you would see a third font selection appear in the Font dialog. There's nothing abnormal about either of the screen shots.

Office normally invokes Asian fonts only when the text language is marked as an Asian language. However, in meeting invitations received from Outlook, I have seen message bodies in Asian fonts from non-Asian companies, so a recent bug could be at work here.

As far as I know the user has a default install of Office 365 for Mac with no modifications.  How do we get rid of the "Asian text font:" field and keep Asian fonts out of Office?

Thanks.

Thursday, February 13, 2020 2:55 PM
  • To change the font theme display:

1. Close Outlook on the machine in question.
    2. Find the user's NormalEmail.dotm template in their Office templates folder.
    3. Open NormalEmail.dotm in Word.
    4. Choose Design>Fonts>Customize Fonts.
    5. Delete the font entries in the East Asian text section.
    6. Save and close the template.
    Friday, February 14, 2020 4:20 PM
  • Hi,

It has been a while, how is everything going?

Just checking in to see if the information of jkorchok was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 8:31 AM
  • I have to find time to work with user.

I'll try and update thread when I do.

Maybe 1 week from now?

Thanks.

Tuesday, February 18, 2020 2:02 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

We will wait for your updates.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 19, 2020 8:17 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Tuesday, February 25, 2020 8:25 AM
  • Hi,

I'm writing to see if the reply above is helpful to you. If yes, would you mind helping mark the reply as answer? So that others who might have a similar question can benefit from your thread? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards, 

Aidan Wang

Still waiting to schedule time with user.  User is very busy.
    Thursday, February 27, 2020 1:18 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

If there is any update, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Aidan Wang

Friday, February 28, 2020 7:34 AM