Free/Busy Information - Hybrid Environment / Proxy settings for on premise CAS RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I`m looking for a help for  the following scenario  - Hybrid environment with 2010 on premise Exchange. Everything works fine besides the free/busy information from onprem users to cloud users only! We are utilizing TMGs everywhere, so we published everything needed for the cloud users to see onprem users free/busy. Now the problem is the other way around - our CAS servers do not have direct internet access and can not contact autodiscover-s.outlook.com to get the free/busy info of the cloud users.

I`m looking for a way to make CAS servers utilize the TMG as a proxy, when they want to talk to autodiscover-s.outlook.com. As far as I can see from my observations, it`s the IIS which is trying to connect to the external IPs. So probably the question is how to make IIS to use proxy for it`s external queries. 

Thanks,

Svilen

Friday, November 20, 2015 11:42 AM

Answers

• Hi all,

Thanks for your answers. As I said: everything works fine, just the CAS servers needed somehow proxy settings, so they can talk to to 0365 autodiscover. I was given a hint how to do it by a fellow Exchange professional:

Set-ExchangeServer -InternetWebProxy

And voilà!

Thank you all for the support. I hope this will help also other people. 

BR,

Svilen

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:26 AM

All replies

• Free-busy from the cloud to on-premises uses the EWS URL obtained through Autodiscover.  If that points to TMG and TMG is properly configured, it should work.

You're welcome to use the Exchange Remote Connectivity Analyzer to verify that Exchange Web Services works for your on-premises server.

http://exrca.com

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Saturday, November 21, 2015 2:07 AM
  • Hi Svilen,

According to your description, I understand that Free/busy information can't be retrieved from a cloud account by using an on-premises account in your Hybrid environment. Is it right?

If that is the case, please run the following command to check the Autodiscover service:

Get-ClientAccessServer | FL Identity,AutodiscoverServiceInternalUri

Additionally, please use the Test-FederationTrust cmdlet to collect more details about the failure:

Test-FederationTrust -UserIdentity <OnPremisesMailbox> -verbose

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2555008

Also share the Microsoft Remote Connectivity Analyzer results here for further troubleshooting.

Regards,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Winnie Liang
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, November 23, 2015 11:10 AM
  • Hi all,

Thanks for your answers. As I said: everything works fine, just the CAS servers needed somehow proxy settings, so they can talk to to 0365 autodiscover. I was given a hint how to do it by a fellow Exchange professional:

Set-ExchangeServer -InternetWebProxy

And voilà!

Thank you all for the support. I hope this will help also other people. 

BR,

Svilen

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 10:26 AM
  • A better and more standard approach would be to configure your forward proxy so that the Exchange servers don't have to use it.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 11:49 AM
  • Hi Ed,

Could you please elaborate a bit more? What needs to be configured for this approach (TMG as a proxy).

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 3:43 PM
  • Configure your firewall so that the Exchange Server can reach the Internet without use of a proxy, and ensure that the Exchange server isn't configured to use a proxy.

Tuesday, November 24, 2015 6:41 PM