none
Task Duration and Work Week RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Project Pro 2010 with SP2.  Why would the overall duration (Level 1) for a file increase when I add Saturday as a working day?  The overall planned finish moves to the left, but duration increases. On another similar file the overall duration doesn't change at all.  That seems to me to be in error.

Long Live America

Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:38 AM

All replies

• Vassily,

It's interesting that you have SP2 for Project 2010 because to the best of my knowledge SP2 has not been released. The latest service update is SP1.

I'm not sure what you mean by level 1 duration but duration in Project is measured as working time. So by making Saturday a working day, it could very well increase the duration. However, it might also decrease the duration depending on the task type and other factors like resource assignments. And yes, duration will increase if the finish date moves to the left, assuming the start date doesn't move. Duration in Project is the difference in working time between the start and finish.

Without more details about your files, we can't tell you why the duration on the "similar file" doesn't change. If you can give us more details then we may be able to answer the question.

Hope this helps.

John

Thursday, June 20, 2013 3:04 AM
  • Vassily, do you have a resource assigned to one or more tasks that uses resource calendar where Saturday is a non-working day?  I suspect that this is the cause of the increased duration.
    Thursday, June 20, 2013 1:26 PM
  • Hi,

Seems absolutely normal to me. If one of the tasks has a constraint such that it cannot use one or more saturdays as a working day, the number of working days where ANY work is performed (definition of duration) is likely to increase.

Greetings,

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:00 PM