Service Pack 1 corrupts IE9 Beta files RRS feed

• Question

• Ok, I had a VM with Windows 7 RTM and installed the Sp1 Beta. After doing this I had installed the IE9 Beta. Today I wanted to remove the SP1. I've run sfc/scannow to check the integrity of my Windows and saw that files were repaired:

Info                  CSI    00000849 [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:76{38}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer"\[l:110{55}]"manifest_A197AD26-372E-4d4f-AAB9-92B5CD6B2C3A_en-us.cab" from store
     Info                  CSI    0000084c [SR] Repairing corrupted file [ml:520{260},l:76{38}]"\??\C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer"\[l:110{55}]"manifest_A197AD26-372E-4d4f-AAB9-92B5CD6B2C3A_en-us.cab" from store

ok. Next I removed the Sp1 Beta, rebooted and run sfc again after getting back to RTM. What happens? The same file was corrupted, but restored.

Next I installed the Sp1 RC and after installing Sp1 RC I run sfc the 3rd time and this the same. The file was corrupted but repaired.

How can this be, that 1 files is always corrupted?

Bug in the Sp1 servicing stack?

I'm using the Windows 7 Ultimate x86 - German + German IE9 Beta.

André

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:06 PM

Answers

• The SP1 team doesn't test their Beta with IE9 Beta and the IE9 team does not test their Beta with the SP1 Beta. 

Not sure where this idea originated, but it is not true.

Andre, as far as the corruption goes, we root caused it and it is a known issue related to the send feedback tool. The corruption should not occur in IE9 RTM. Thanks for your investigation and report!

• Marked as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, December 3, 2010 12:45 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 10:01 AM

All replies

• Fasinating, I Usually Start With A Clean Install Ow Windows 7, Install Service Pack One Beta First (Have Not Tried It With The RC Yet), And Then Install IE9 Beta Last, And  Then Every Thing Works Fine After That.
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:32 PM
  • I go back to one of comments a few weeks ago when I stated is was a bad practice to mix Betas, SP1 Beta & IE9 Beta in this case.  You responded that you had both on your system and thought it was perfectly fine to mix Betas.  Now you have an example on why it is not a good procarice to mix Betas.  Betas are developed in a controlled environment and should only be tested in a controlled environment.  The SP1 team doesn't test their Beta with IE9 Beta and the IE9 team does not test their Beta with the SP1 Beta.

A good scientist makes sure his test environment is controlled to avoid contamination.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 6:36 PM
  • Keep in mind that IE 9 may very well come out before Service Pack One, And That The Issue That He Reported Could Very Well Be A Show Stopper Bug If People First Need 2 Uninstall IE9 Before Installing Service Pack One, As Most People Will Already Have IE 9 RTW Installed By The Time Service Pack One RTW Comes Out Next Year, And Will Not Know How 2 Uninstall And Then Reinstall IE 9 After Service Packj One Is Installed. The Bottom Line: This Is A Show Stopper Bug If Valid.

As I said before "A good scientist makes sure his test environment is controlled to avoid contamination."

No one can identify "bugs" in an environment that is contaminated by two or more Betas!  A Computer Scientist can only identify bugs when he knows exactly wht the conditions are in a test environment.  If you contaminate the environment with two or more Betas, then how do you identify the source of the problem?  You don't!

IE9 will be tested and debugged in a controlled environment.

SP1 will be tested and debugged in a controlled environment.

This is basic Comp Sci software development!  As well as any other testing environment.  It's been the same philosophy for centuries.  Do we just forget about proven methods and act stupid because we are now in the 21st Century?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:16 PM
  • The SP1 team doesn't test their Beta with IE9 Beta and the IE9 team does not test their Beta with the SP1 Beta.

Where did you get that from?  Seems extremely unlikely to me.

I expect what OP saw was an anomaly. Like quite a lot of people who follow along with MS betas, I had SP Beta, then IE9, then SP RC, and all is well.

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 8:33 PM
  • A good scientist makes sure his test environment is controlled to avoid contamination.

As you can read, it is a VM ;) This is my testing VM and I only noticed this issue.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:13 PM

Where did you get that from?  Seems extremely unlikely to me.

I expect what OP saw was an anomaly. Like quite a lot of people who follow along with MS betas, I had SP Beta, then IE9, then SP RC, and all is well.

Common sense is not so common.
    Voltaire
    French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 10:25 PM
  • Seems like it would be good to know what conflicts are going on between two developing products (both from Microsoft).  But that's just me.  I guess if Microsoft keeps it's mentality of developing everything in a test tube and expecting everyone to adapt to them (IE6?  Vista?) then they're really not going to get a better product.  Or we could all just lecture each other on what we're supposed to do. 

By the way I think Apple just increased their customer satisfaction rating again.

As for anyone else who skipped CSE 101, IE9 worked great with the SP1 beta for me.  Once I uninstalled it and installed the new RC, IE9 is behaving erratically.  It works great sometimes.  Sometimes the window opens but it's blank and unresponsive.  The process remains running even after closing with window.  I think I'm going to try uninstall/reinstall IE9 first then, if necessary, I'll uninstall/reinstall the RC & IE9.  I think the uninstall/install process may have altered some key files or registry values.  IF this is not the case their may be some conflict between IE9 and the SP1 even though my environment is contaminated and utterly filthy.  Dirty.  Vile, even.  I would be interested in hearing if anyone else has had similar issues.

Saturday, October 30, 2010 9:51 PM
  • Does IE8-RTM also get corrupted in your VM environment when this Service Pack is added/removed?

No, only the cab file from the IE9.

Sunday, October 31, 2010 12:14 PM

Not sure where this idea originated, but it is not true.

Andre, as far as the corruption goes, we root caused it and it is a known issue related to the send feedback tool. The corruption should not occur in IE9 RTM. Thanks for your investigation and report!

• Marked as answer by Andre.Ziegler Friday, December 3, 2010 12:45 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 10:01 AM
  • Andre, as far as the corruption goes, we root caused it and it is a known issue related to the send feedback tool. The corruption should not occur in IE9 RTM. Thanks for your investigation and report!

Hi Ryan,

thanks for the reply :)

André

Friday, December 3, 2010 12:46 PM