none
IE11 boots in safe mode but not in normal mode RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed IE11 and my OS is Windows 7.

IE boots in In Private mode but does not boot in normal mode. I tried re-installing and even down grading to IE10 but the problem persists. In normal mode "Internet Explorer(not responding)" appears above the URL bar. When I click any link the site does not open and "Internet Explorer(not responding)" appears above the URL bar.

Appreciate your quick solution.

Thank you

Monday, May 26, 2014 5:23 AM

Answers

• In normal mode "Internet Explorer(not responding)" appears above the URL bar.

Typically that means that something you have loading normally (e.g. in your Startup etc.) is not loaded in safe mode but apparently does interfere with IE to that extent in normal mode.  So, try to figure out what is different about the two cases.  Tip:  AutoRuns (from SysInternals, available on TechNet) is very helpful for listing all of the possibilities for each case. 

Alternatively, you might get a clue from Resource Monitor's Associated modules list (a pane on the CPU tab in resmon.exe).  E.g. capture that list for both cases and compare them for their essential differences.  Hint:  capture is possible using conventional Windows selection techniques and Ctrl-c to copy to ClipBoard.  You can sort the lists by Name and you can exclude columns that you don't want to be seen by a difference program (e.g. windiff.exe) if you think you need to use one to see some differences that way.

Etc.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
    ---

Monday, May 26, 2014 4:10 PM
    Answerer