Brand new laptop slowed to uselessness. RRS feed

• Question

• I got a brand new Toshiba Satellite series notebook with Windows 7 less than a week ago, and somehow it's already slowed beyond use. I don't really know how to describe the problem concisely, since it isn't consistent and I've never seen anything like this before, so this might be kinda long...

Yesterday, I restarted my computer because my phone didn't seem to be connecting to it properly (which has since seemed to be fixed), but after I restarted, it basically ceased to function. At first, it wouldn't do ANYTHING. I could see my background, and Windows appeared to be up and running, but it basically wouldn't run any programs, or open the start menu or anything. The Windows button and icons would light up if I hoovered over them, but they didn't open if I clicked on them, or took several (5+) minutes to do so if they did. So I shut it down, waited a few hours, and turned it back on. This time, after about 20 minutes or so after Windows appearing to be loaded, it was finally running smoothly. Today however, it started skipping when I was playing music, so I restarted it, and since then, it's been useless. Programs open mostly, but after a lag of maybe 5-10 minutes. It won't play music and takes several minutes to do simple things like open a menu that I click on. I finally managed to get the task manager up and running, but nothing seems to be wrong with the vitals... I have no idea where to even begin. All I can think of is some kind of software conflict or something, except all the programs I have installed myself (Zipeg, FreeRIP and Samsung New PC Studio) all run fine on my friends' very similar setup, and I restarted after I installed each and everything was fine then. The ONLY other thing I have done to my computer since I got it was to transfer some files from my old computer using Windows Easy Transfer, and nearly all of them were music files.

Since I have no idea where to begin this could also easily be a problem with my new hardware, but I thought I would try here first before having long, potentially useless phone conversations with Toshiba's tech support.

Dear lord, please help me.

And by "lord", I really mean "Microsoft forum community".

Monday, August 22, 2011 3:20 AM

Answers

• I ran the Avira System Rescue, and it didn't find any suspicious files or anything except for a couple warnings. But my computer seems to be running fine again. So, that's weird, but THANKS!
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:10 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:30 AM

All replies

1. Click Start and type resource monitor in the search box and launch Resource Monitor.
    2. Maximize the window to make it easier to see all the columns.
    3. On the Overview tab, expand out all four sections - CPU, Disk, Network, and Memory.
    4. Sort the CPU section by the CPU column so you see the process using the most CPU at the top.
    5. For the Disk section, sort by Total (B/sec), and also sort the Network section by Total (B/sec).
    6. Sort Memory by Hard Faults/sec.

When the slowness occurs when you are running Resource Monitor like that, you'll have a better chance of seeing what is using the most CPU, disk, network, or memory to give you a better idea what is slowing things down.

The 47% Maximum Frequency show in the screen shot at the top of the CPU section just means that computer's power management settings are configured to allow the CPU to throttle back when it is not under load. If that were a 3.0 ghz processor, 47% Maximum Frequency would mean it was running at around 1.4 ghz to save power because the additional cycles weren't needed at the moment.

• Proposed as answer by pkn2011 Monday, August 22, 2011 7:20 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 4:52 AM
  • Without a concise event to connect the problem with, I would reommend a full anti-malware scan.

Download and create this boot cd on another computer and boot to it on yours:

http://www.avira.com/en/support-download-avira-antivir-rescue-system

You could also hit F8 on startup and slect the restore option in the repair menu and restore to a point in time prior to the problem starting.

• Marked as answer by Sleepy snail Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:28 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Sleepy snail Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:38 PM
    Monday, August 22, 2011 1:00 PM
  • I got a brand new Toshiba Satellite series notebook with Windows 7 less than a week ago, and somehow it's already slowed beyond use.

Try a System Restore to a date prior to the slowdown becoming evident.
    Monday, August 22, 2011 2:13 PM
  • In addition to replies above, please explain more about this:

"Yesterday, I restarted my computer because my phone didn't seem to be connecting to it properly (which has since seemed to be fixed), but after I restarted, it basically ceased to function"

What software are you using for this phone connection? Or is it also hardware driven mebbe.. Perhaps try setting this to a lower priority than the OS so that it's not dominating everything else running.

Can you recall what else was running at the time the phone connection went awry? Did something auto-update at the time. See if you can spot any Errors reported in Event viewer or in Action Centre, etc.

Regards, pkn

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Monday, August 22, 2011 7:29 PM
  • I ran the Avira System Rescue, and it didn't find any suspicious files or anything except for a couple warnings. But my computer seems to be running fine again. So, that's weird, but THANKS!
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Thursday, September 1, 2011 8:10 AM
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 12:30 AM
  • Hi, you said.. "my computer seems to be running fine again"

Looks like your prayers were answered! :)

If my post was helpful - give it a Vote. If it helps solve your problem - propose it as Answer. ;-)
    Tuesday, August 23, 2011 1:27 AM
  • OK, just kidding. It was working fine mostly, except my music was still skipping a little. But after I restarted it again, it was still insanely slow, and has continued to be upon previous restarts. I hadn't set up a restore point in the 5 days I had it before I started using it, so I can't even do that.

There were no updates or anything running at the time. I was actually trying to tether my phone to my computer so that I could get internet in the first place, and it wasn't working, so I know I didn't have internet and there was no way something could have been updating or whatever when shit got bad. I'm beginning more and more to think this could be a hardware failure, since I just have no clue what else could be wrong.

It seems as though my only option left is to use the "Toshiba restore", which will wipe my computer clean, save for the factory installed stuff. Which I guess I will try as a last ditch effort to not have to send Toshiba, unless anybody else has any other ideas...

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 7:50 PM
  • Hi, you wrote.. " I hadn't set up a restore point in the 5 days I had it before I started using it, so I can't even do that."

Have you checked for them? as some software will set restore points for you automatically.

To determine where the problem is - you'll need to go through the diagnostic process. Open Resource monitor as Craig suggested above. This'll let you spot any software hogging the cpu etc.

Also - try a clean boot to determine conflicts in soft/hardware etc.. see this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/331796

btw. have you been able to upgrade Win7 as yet? - this'll probably help..

All the best, pkn

Tuesday, August 23, 2011 8:49 PM