Office 365 subscription - Outlook 2016 Exchange - Folders & Sub-Folders within this folder have all disappeared RRS feed

• Question

• On opening my Outlook 2016 (subscriber to Office 365 and Outlook exchange - 2 subscriptions) on the Dell desktop PC (Windows 10 with all latest updates) to day I noticed that the “Files” Folder and the multiple sub-folders have all disappeared.  As I needed to respond to an email located in one of these sub-folders I started the Lenovo notebook (also Windows 10 with latest updates) and watched the "Files" folder and all the sub-folders disappear before my eyes.   I then logged into the Office 365 Outlook web app and the folders are no longer accessible via the web app either.  Appears that all emails are still there as a search on an email address for email filed within a known but missing sub-folder will deliver emails.  Same issue has now appeared on another Office 365 subscription with different email address.  Problem arose Sunday 17th December and still no sign of a resolution.   As two users with different email addresses impacted and folders are no longer visible on Web App seems like this is an Office 365 Exchange Server issue rather than PC's running Outlook 2016.

How do I resolve this issue please?

Derek

• Edited by DCGSyd Thursday, December 21, 2017 3:14 AM
    Wednesday, December 20, 2017 11:38 PM

All replies

• Hi Derek,

>> I noticed that the “Files” Folder and the multiple sub-folders have all disappeared. 

By this, do you mean the name of the missing folder is "Files"?

Based on my research, "Files" folder is a system folder in an Exchange Online mailbox which contains contents of all the attachments from all emails in the mailbox. This folder doesn't exist in a newly created account, but is hidden once it is created. 

In this situation, I'd like to recommend try renaming the Files folder using MFCMAPI tool:

1. Download the MFCMAPI tool.
    2. Unzip the downloaded file and from the extracted folder double click on mfcmapi.exe.
    3. Dismiss the startup screen.
    4. Logon via Session > Logon, select the mail profile which contains the folder you wish to alter.
    5. Expand Root - Mailbox (or Root Container), expand IPM_SUBTREE (or Top of Outlook Data Files)
    6. Locate the folder you want to rename.
    7. You can change the display name by clicking on it twice and editing the name:

8. Close the window and return to the main MFCMAPI window.
    9. Select Session > Logoff and return to Outlook.

Hope this can be helpful.

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:28 AM
  • Hi Yuki, 

Thanks for your reply. 

I have been using Outlook on exchange servers for 15 years plus with the same structure on corporate hardware based servers and, more recently, a subscription to office 365/Exchange Server (over 4 years) - i.e. a folder named "Files" with a multiple levels of sub-folders.  After no problems with this folder structure in the navigation page for the last 15+ years why would the situation suddenly change at the server level - was it an unintended consequence of Outlook 2016 or Exchange Server software updates as I gather that there are many other business (subscribing to Office 365 through Telstra Business Apps) with exactly the same problem that we have reported.

Regards, 

Derek

Derek

Thursday, December 21, 2017 7:50 AM
  • Hi Derek,

Thanks for your update.

Regarding the Files folder, I did much research when composing the initial reply above but found no documentation stating if this is a new change recently. According to the discussion in the following threads, it seems to me that the folder has existed for some time.  

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_manage/exchange-online-system-folder-called-files/333c731e-827e-4129-8464-7061541298af
    https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/msoffice/forum/msoffice_o365admin-mso_manage/exchange-online-system-folder-called-files/f5d661a1-5498-499b-9281-7d26f4904e00?tm=1489562449621

Then sorry but my personal knowledge about Exchange sever is limited, if you have more concerns about this issue in sever side, personally I would like to encourage posting a new thread to the dedicated Exchange Online forum for further discussion.

By the way, have you tried the method above to check if the missing folder can be retrieved? If the suggestion is helpful, could you please help mark it as answer to close the thread? If you still need help on this in Outlook client side, please don't hesitate to post back :)

Best regards,
    Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 21, 2017 8:14 AM
  • Hi Derek,

Just checked in to see if my above post was helpful. If yes, could you please help mark it as answer to close the thread so that others who might have a similar issue to search for the information? Thanks for your understanding and support.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Thursday, January 4, 2018 9:56 AM
  • Hi Yuki,

Thanks - unfortunately the problem that arose on 17/12/2017 still exists and Telstra/Microsoft have been unable to resolve the problem that is impacting two of our subscriptions and many others.  I am told by Telstra that I have to wait until 10th January (was 3rd) for the next Microsoft update.  https://portal.office.com/adminportal/home#/servicehealth.

Derek

Thursday, January 4, 2018 10:50 PM
  • Hi Derek,

Thanks so much for sharing the above information with us! Hope the issue can be fixed soon in the next update.

Regards,

Yuki Sun

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, January 5, 2018 1:19 AM
  • Issue still unresolved by Telstra (https://marketplace.telstra.com) and Microsoft after more than a month. Last Advisory on 10th January: "EX126202 - Folders not appearing"

User Impact: Users may be unable to view certain folders they've created.

More info: This is an incremental update to provide the latest status on the issue. Current status: We’re in the process of deploying the fix and is expected to take approximately four weeks to propagate through the affected infrastructure. We'll monitor the progress of the deployment and provide an update in one week. While we're focused on remediation, if you've confirmed that you have users affected by this issue you may contact Support for assistance in restoring access to the hidden files. For complete details on this event, please reference the post from 11:29 AM UTC on January 3, 2018. Next update by: Wednesday, January 17, 2018, at 1:00 PM UTC

Derek

Monday, January 15, 2018 7:10 AM