User Profiles and Properties in Central Administration 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• How do I get to the option 'User Profiles and Properties' in Central Administration?

I am trying to view options listed for the Import (Start incremental import or Start Full import).

Friday, September 21, 2012 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

I understand when you click User profile and Properties, you get Access Denied error. You need to grant the user permission according to the steps below:

• Open Central Administration and log in as the account which is used to install SharePoint(Or use farm administrator to have a test).
      • Click Shared Services in the navigation pane.
      • Click Site Actions>Site settings> Advanced permissions. Here you can grant the user permission to access this Shared Services site.
      • Back to Shared Services site and click ‘Personalization services permissions’.
      • Click Add Users/Groups to grant the user permission to access user profiles and properties.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:37 AM

All replies

• User profiles and properties is in the SSP Administration site. There is a link to your SSPs in the left navigation in Central Administration.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:11 PM
  • When I clikc on 'SharedServices' navigation link on the left side; I get an error

Error:  Access Denied

I am setup as a Farm Administrator.

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:28 PM
  • You need to either make your account a site collection administrator of the SSP admin site collection (Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site collection administrators) or give your user a full control user policy on the web application that contains the SSP admin site collection (Application Management -> Policy for Web application).

Once you can access the SSP admin site, you may need to grant yourself permissions to manage user profiles. Click on the Personalization service permissions and grant your account all rights.

You should now be able to manage the import through the User profiles and properties link on the main SSP administration page.

Jason Warren
    Infrastructure Architect

Friday, September 21, 2012 1:42 PM
  • I already have myself setup as you suggested but not able to get these options to work when I am running Central Admin on production server.  When I launch Central Administration on my development server and point URL to production server then all these options are avaiable.
    Friday, September 21, 2012 8:35 PM
  • I still get the same 'Access Denied' error. 

I am logged in site collection administrator of the SSP admin site collection (Central Administration -> Application Management -> Site collection administrators) and have full control user policy on the web application that contains the SSP admin site collection (Application Management -> Policy for Web application).

Friday, September 21, 2012 8:43 PM
  • Hi,

I understand when you click User profile and Properties, you get Access Denied error. You need to grant the user permission according to the steps below:

• Open Central Administration and log in as the account which is used to install SharePoint(Or use farm administrator to have a test).
      • Click Shared Services in the navigation pane.
      • Click Site Actions>Site settings> Advanced permissions. Here you can grant the user permission to access this Shared Services site.
      • Back to Shared Services site and click ‘Personalization services permissions’.
      • Click Add Users/Groups to grant the user permission to access user profiles and properties.

Thanks,

Entan Ming

TechNet Subscriber Support in forum

If you have any feedback on our support, please contacttnmff@microsoft.com.

Entan Ming

TechNet Community Support

Monday, September 24, 2012 2:37 AM
  • that sound simple enough but I can not find shared service

below is the a screen shot of what I see in central admin

am I missing a switch that will show what it need to see

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 1:58 PM
  • Hi, this thread was concerning SharePoint 2007. From your screenshot it looks like you are running SharePoint 2010.

If you have a question or need help I recommend starting a new thread specific to your problem.

Tuesday, November 17, 2015 5:17 PM