locked
ATA 1.8-1.9 upgrade: Will older agents work with 1.9 in the short term? RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I am preparing to upgrade ATA from 1.8 to 1.9. Once I have upgraded Center (losing the database I realise), all the agents will obviously show as requiring update. Will the existing 1.8 agents work at all (albeit perhaps with reduced functionality) therefore allowing me to schedule agent updates separately, or will I effectively have a total loss of service until at least some agents are upgraded?

    I don't intend to leave the agent upgrades for very long, it's just a lot harder to put an upgrade through our change control process if it is effectively an upgrade of our entire environment all at once, with a theoretical need to reboot all our forest Domain Controllers as part of that same change! Ideally I'd like to get Center upgraded and then leave the agent updates to be scheduled at the same time as our normal planned post-Patch Tuesday update cycle.

    Can you confirm one way or the other if the agent upgrade from 1.8 to 1.9 does (rather than might)require a DC reboot, or will it just uninstall 1.8, install 1.9 and resume working as normal? Testing in my very limited VM testlab did not require reboots, but I'd prefer to be certain before hitting my live environment! When 1.8 went in, it only required reboots for servers that did not have the prerequisite dotnet framework installed (although it was unfortunate that the 'OK' button presented for that, to acknowledge that a reboot would be needed before the agent worked actually triggered an immediate reboot when pressed)!

    Thanks

    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 10:08 AM

All replies

  • After the Center is upgraded all GWs will be going to a state of pending update, and until updated won't process traffic.

    As you mentioned, a reboot is usually required only if you need to update .net.

    If you don't the chances of a reboot are slim, but We can't promise it won't as there are external factors that we can't always be aware of, like if there is already a pending restart from a different update on the machine etc.

    Wednesday, May 9, 2018 10:18 AM
  • Hello, 

    I would like to check if there is any update about this issue.

    If you still have any other questions about this issue, please feel free to post here.

    Best regards,

    Andy Liu


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Thursday, May 31, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Hi, Will be upgrading within the next 2 weeks so I'll post the results when done!

    Thanks

    Friday, June 8, 2018 12:03 PM
  • Upgraded yesterday without any issues! The upgrade process is a great improvement - I was able to just click 'update agent' from the console and it progressed from there. The only comments I do have is that the upgrade of ATA Centre caused all lightweight gateways to be immediately stopped (as expected) but also set the services to disabled state. While this is great, it may be worth mentioning on the documentation.

    It would also be worth adding in an additional delay to the reporting of agent status to the console during the actual upgrade. All my agents were logging events saying 'failed to start' and often 'failed to download policy', but in reality they were just taking slightly longer to initialise than normal - for they first few, by the time I had logged on to the DCs to check the 'error' the ATA gateway was actually running normally.

    Richard

    Wednesday, June 13, 2018 10:39 AM