Location Policies and "most specific" subnets/rules RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

For the purpose of E911, we have subnets, sites, location policies, and gateways configured.  E911 is functioning at a specific site, but the subnet entries do NOT seem to pick up the most specific subnet entry.  For example, if we had the following two subnet entries (these are not our real subnets, these are just examples):

• 10.10.10.0/24
    • 10.10.10.123/32

The 10.10.10.123/32 entry does not seem to be used.  The 10.10.10.0/24 entry was added first. My question is if Microsoft is supposed to look for the most specific entry, the entry that was added first, or some other method to determine which entry Skype uses?

I do not see a method to re-order rules.  It is a bit difficult to perform testing for an emergency service if we cannot easily re-assign a location policy via an IP address when not physically at the location.

The user account has the "Location policy" configured as "<Automatic>".

We tried forcing replication, clearing Skype cache (deleting the SIP profile), etc.

Monday, August 6, 2018 2:34 PM

All replies

• Hi menestrello,

I tested it in my lab, it is not support the specific entry .I set the subnet to 192.168.1.0,this setting is working, when I set the subnet to 192.168.2.56(this is my win 7 ip address),but the location is not working.when I set these subnet in  same environment, the SFB client just show the location about the 192.168.1.0,not show the 192.168.2.56

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, August 7, 2018 3:01 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Wednesday, August 8, 2018 10:18 AM
  • Thank you for the reply.

I appreciate the test, but I am not 100% sure if I was clear about what I was asking.

When we tested an entry like 10.10.10.123/32 by itself, the location worked as expected and the UCCApi logs show the subnet as 10.10.10.123/32.

When we tested an entry like 10.10.10.0/24 by itself, the location worked as expected and the UCCApi logs show the subnet as 10.10.10.123.0/24.

When we had an entry for BOTH 10.10.10.123/32 and 10.10.10.0/24, only one of them worked.

Since it does not look like the order of the entries can be changed without deleting both and adding them in a specific order, my expectation (per standard) is that Skype for Business should use the most specific entry first.

My question is, "How does Microsoft determines which entry Skype for Business it uses when there are two entries in the same range?"

Thursday, August 9, 2018 12:53 AM
  • I will try more testing tomorrow by adding entries in a different order.

Thursday, August 9, 2018 12:56 AM
  • Ok, waitting for your update.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Friday, August 10, 2018 8:59 AM
  • Hi,

Are there any update for this issue, if the reply is helpful to you, please try to mark it as an answer, it will help others who has similar issue.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Tuesday, August 14, 2018 10:06 AM
  • Hello,

I am sorry for not responding to this earlier.  We have indirectly resolved this issue due to subnet restructuring.

Tuesday, July 23, 2019 5:29 PM