How to enter pingyin characters in Windows XP RRS feed

• Question

• I would like to enter pingyin characters (like ㄝㄎ) in windows XP. Unluckily, I am using a restricted privilege account with only the following input method:

a) Chinese (Taiwan) 
    b) Chinese (Traditional) - ChangJie
    c) Chinese (Traditional) - Quick

I have search the internet for solution. Some solutions including Press and hold Alt, then press +41902, +41835. However, this is troublesome.

Do you know any way to input pingyin characters using the current settings?

I would very much appreciated any ideas and sharing.

System info:
    Windows XP; Office 2007; private network; restricted privilege account

Friday, May 6, 2011 3:10 AM

All replies

• With restricted privilege account you have to stick with the solution you mentioned. above. press and hold Alt +41902, +41835

Otherwise this is how you do it:

• On the Windows Start menu, point to Settings, and then click Control Panel.
    • Double-click the Regional Options icon.
    • After choosing "Regional and Language Options," change to the "Languages" tab then click "Details" button. 
    • From the "Installed Services" group, highlight "Microsoft New Phonetic IME 2002a". 
    • Then click "Properties..." From the "Setting" tab. 
    • Choose "Legacy IME" from the "Input Method Setup" group. 
    • Change to the "Keyboard Mapping" tab, then choose "HanYu Pinyin" and click "OK" as many times as necessary.
    Friday, May 6, 2011 9:05 AM
  • Hi Redtooth,

Thank you very much for your reply!

My computer is not installed with New Phonetic IME 2002a so I could not use the method you mentioned.
    But I think it would be very helpful for others who have administrative privilege. :)

As a side note, I heard from others that some people could invoke the Phonetic IME input method despite the above setting. I am just curious if there are any tricks to do so...

Monday, May 9, 2011 1:51 AM