none
Autoruns Bug - SysNative path not found

Question

• On a 32 bit windows system, when checking the properties of an object located in the system32 folder, autoruns 12.02 returns a path error:
    windows cannot find the path c:\windows\sysnative

Note the system32 folder is always referenced as sysnative but only in the 32 bit version of windows.  It works correctly in the 64 bit version of windows.  The error occurs for any object located in system32 or a sub-folder of system32.  The error occurs with right-click/properties or the menu entry/properties or the shortcut alt-enter. 

Until the bug is fixed, a work-around is to create a shortcut or link named sysnative in c:\windows that points to system32. 

administrator rights command line:  mklink c:\windows\sysnative c:\windows\system32
    Sunday, August 31, 2014 6:56 AM

All replies

• The problem still there in v13.91. 64bit on Windows 10 64bit.

Friday, December 7, 2018 12:38 PM
  • Hi AlexanRu

I published an update for autoruns (v13.93) that contains a fix to this just this morning. You can grab this from https://livesite.sysinternals.com. Could you take a look and confirm that it resolves the issue in your environment?

MarkC(MSFT)

Friday, December 7, 2018 8:48 PM
  • MarkC, Autoruns v13.93 is still affected by this bug.

Autoruns v13.91  - Windows 7 x86 English SP1 - Generated the below error when using the "Properties" option from the context window. For those unfamiliar, this is because Autoruns attempted to reference the WOW64 redirector (%systemroot%\Sysnative) that allows 32-bit apps running on 64-bit Windows to access the native system directory (%SystemRoot%\System32) instead of the %SystemRoot%\SysWOW64 directory. However, the Sysnative file system redirector does not exist on 32-bit Windows (hence the error). It's worth noting that the "Jump to Image..." option from the same context menu successfully launched explorer to the expected directory (does not try to access %systemroot%\Sysnative).

Autoruns v13.93  - Windows 7 x86 English SP1 - Reproduces the same behavior as v13.91 when launched on an x86 version of Windows. Although these screenshots look nearly identical, I can assure you they we're run with the versions of Autoruns specified.

Friday, December 7, 2018 11:08 PM
  • Hi Kyle

apologies for the confusion. The issue that was resolved in 13.93 is for the 64 bit version referred to by AlexranRu above (https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/a724d86b-d45d-4927-b63f-d82aee9a292f/autoruns64-bug?forum=autoruns). I wasn't aware of an issue with the 32 bit version but I just tested this on 32 bit Windows 10 and you are quite correct. I will take a look at this one and the double extension issue too.

Regards

MarkC (MSFT)

Monday, December 10, 2018 7:44 PM
  • Awesome, thanks brother!
    Tuesday, December 11, 2018 10:37 PM