Crash During Boot RRS feed

• Question

• I have a system with a P6N SLI Platinum MB, 3Gb RAM and 2 SATA disks 1 80Gb and 1 500Gb. Until recently I had my Vista Home Premium on just the 500Gb and everything was ok.  Then I bought the 80Gb and set up vista on that, using the 500Gb as my data disk.  It still had the OS on it though. 

Everything was fine for a couple of weeks but suddenly I started to get problems. I ran a command line defrag overnight and next morning ihe system had crashed with a blue screen.  I was able to use recovery to return to a restart point, but a couple of days ago the system crashed again in the same way (Stop code C1F5) and crashed each time I tried to reboot.  This time I could not get to recovery.  If I boot from the vista disk It says "loading data", the progress bar completes and the Windows screen appears, but it immediately crashes, before the option screen.  However, I discovered that if I disconnect the 500Gb drive it boots up ok.  This is 100% repeatable. 

Thinking I had a disk problem I downloaded the dos test routines from Hitachi and both disks check out ok, even on the most comprehensive tests.  I've tried reversing the orderof the connectors to the controller, to no effect.  I have no idea why a disk not involved in the boot process could cause this.  Does anyone else?  Remember that with the 500Gb disconnected it books ok!

Thursday, February 21, 2008 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hello,

Please understand that to troubleshoot the blue screen issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Your understanding is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:33 AM

All replies

• Hello,

Please understand that to troubleshoot the blue screen issues, we usually need to perform debugging. However, in this forum, we do not provide debugging support. If you would like to perform debugging, please contact Microsoft Customer Support Service (CSS).

To obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request, please refer to the website listed below:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-US;PHONENUMBERS

If you are outside the US,  please refer to http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

Your understanding is greatly appreciated!

Regards,

Lionel Chen

Microsoft Online Community Support

Monday, February 25, 2008 7:33 AM
  • I've been having the same problem with the Blue Screen of Death and STOP: 0x0000C1F5 error that occurs at the same point when booting Vista Ultimate.  I can get to the F8 menu but every option ends up at this BSOD and the C1F5 error message.  Mine started Feb.13 after Vista automatically installed some updates and rebooted (some applications were running).  I have tried everything and found the same as you.

In an attempt to recover it, I removed the offending boot hard drive from the system and put it in an external USB enclosure (its a Samsung 320 gig SATA drive).  I installed a new hard drive and reloaded Vista back onto it and installed all the patches to date.  With the plan to copy all the data off the problem hard drive, I plugged in the usb when Vista was up and running.  The system said it was recognizing the new device and then the same Blue Screen of Death suddenly appeared.  So even as a secondary drive, Vista crashes when exposed to it.

So its something on the hard drive (a corrupted file or sector that Vista looks at) and its suspicious it happened during a Vista update.

I plugged the corrupt drive into a XP Pro machine (it didn't affect it at all) and was at least able to get the data off of it.  I also scanned it with the virus scanner but it found no viruses.

I've Googled this problem (looked for 0x0000C1F5) and it does show up a few times (as far back as last summer) but no one has found a solution to recover their system.  So far it looks like you have to wipe the drive and reload from scratch.

To do that I've used a GPARTED LIVE CD  to boot from and delete the offending partition (this was because the computer supplier did not provide a disk but a recovery partition only).  Before this I was unable to get the Recovery Partition to boot.  I'm now reinstalling the system.

I've kept a True Image copy of the corrupt partition that I hope I can someday recover as there were a number of programs installed.  If anyone has ideas on where to look for the offending problem, please publish it.

Monday, February 25, 2008 11:34 PM
  • I've been in communication with Microsoft on this problem.  They are aware of it and detailed it in Knowledge Base article KB946084.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:52 PM